How can we improve Google Cloud Platform?

Cheaper cloud spanner starting price

It would be great if Cloud Spanner had a cheaper starting price. I listened to Deepti Srivastava on https://www.gcppodcast.com/post/episode-62-cloud-spanner-with-deepti-srivastava/ talk about customer feedback on pricing and how they felt that Cloud Spanner provided incredible value.

I 100% agree that it provides incredible value, and the performance that you can get from a single node is great and comparable to a MySQL VM that costs the same amount. However my needs are much more modest than 10,000 queries per second or 2,000 writes per second. I'd be quite happy with a node that provided 1/10th of the performance at even 1/4 or 1/2 the price of a single node.

High availability, reliability, and transactions are all important for my app, I just don't have a high throughput to start with. My choices are: start with a more modestly provisioned Cloud SQL instance and then rewrite my app when I get enough customers to warrant the $600/month for Spanner, or start with Spanner and essentially over-provision it.

18 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Daniel ComptonDaniel Compton shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Paul NashAdminPaul Nash (Product Manager, GCE, Google) responded  · 

Thanks, we’ve heard this feedback from a number of different directions, and the team is aware of the desire to see something like this. We’ll update this request in the future if there are new offerings to announce.

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...