How can we improve Google Cloud Platform?

Allow SMTP to Office 365 (smtp.office365.com) and other providers

Your blocking of standard SMTP ports seems reasonable until you realize that outgoing e-mail can still be sent through G Suite mail servers and not Office 365 mail servers. My domain e-mail that I want to send mail through (low volume) is hosted at Office 365. I'm not going to move it to G Suite just for one little use. I don't see what, if anything, this has to do with IP reputation since smtp.office365.com requires login information. I was excited to use Google Compute Engine until I discovered this annoying fact. Now I'm going to have to use AWS or Softlayer.

190 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Steven Hazlett shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminScott Van Woudenberg (Admin, Google) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to provide an update on this. It is now possible send SMTP traffic to O365 and other providers on ports 465 and 587. Details can be found here [1].

Note, port 25 still remains blocked by default but we are in the process of making it easier to request an exception.

[1]https://googlecloudplatform.uservoice.com/forums/302595-compute-engine/suggestions/10079937-send-and-receive-email-using-tcp-smtp-imap-ports

• Lewis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With all due respect, its "marketed" (with the air quotes) that you can on 25 with essentially gmail. You've made a choice to not support standard ports *except* when it comes to your own services. I get the technical "it's not left the network" explanation... but this isn't solely a tech issue. You're forcing senders to use a non-standard-port and promoting those who facilitate that port.

For those of us who are working to client specs with restrictions, can you not see how this is suspect?

• Edward Jimenez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to voice my desire for this feature. I was baffled at why I couldn't send SMTP via O365, now at least I know..

• AdminPaul Nash (Product Manager, GCE, Google) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The fact that Google is allowed is really not a nefarious decision, it's just a side effect of the fact that it kind of "automatically" works because Google <-> Google traffic takes a different path than actual egress traffic going to the internet. That said, we are actively working on providing more options for users regarding this issue (all outbound email issues), and appreciate everyone's patience as we work towards better answers here.

• Rajagopal V commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are there any updates on this? It feels strange for GCE to do this. Is there a technical reason why they would block all SMTP but google? We did move to GCE this week but this has come as a blow now. Our only option (considering this ticket was opened 8 months ago) is to use a server in another datacenter that allows this.

• John Mecham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It definitely feels like the platform is minimizing the diversity in the cloud space. "Use our products or else you'll be inconvenienced".

Does anyone know of a alternate compute platform? I think AWS has similar restrictions :-/

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please enable office 365 smtp support, it is such a pain to deal with, and there is no valid reason for disallowing it. Compute engine is fantastic, but this is such an unnecessary restriction.

For sendgrid, etc you have to use an alternate port, like port 2525. If office 365 supports an alternate port then you should be able to use it. I don't use office 365 and I am trying to find out if they support an alternate port. We have one client that is in the same boat.

• Alejandro Neave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm with Steve. Google Cloud has been fantastic but it is very inconvenient not to be able to connect to Office 365 for email service.

• Jalal Nasser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

im too, i was excited also to move to google cloud since it is an extended workspace, but i got mistke when i have decided that and moved to google cloud, my clients can't send mails, even if use ssl also not sending, google blocked it

You can actually bypass that restriction using Microsoft Flow. You can set up a Flow that will send an email from a post request over https (port 443) so the outgoing port from the Google machine will not be SMTP. It is a really small change if you build you code correctly and you created your own sending method. Just send the call to the smtp sending request to a POST request to the url you got from your brand new Flow.

Just remember to add auth to the flow. I use a key and compare it to a 50 letters value to make sure. It cannot be sniffed as the request is encrypted over SSL.

• Aman Brar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Isn't this hugely anti-competition? Mailgun, SendGrid etc are all allowed but not Office 365? We're planning to launch a CRM integrated with our office365 mailboxes and this is a huge pain.

I indeed just figured out that my Google Cloud VPS does not support my Office365 mailserver. What a b...****. I am not willing to move to a paid G Suite service where I already pay for my Office365 environment

• Mats Planberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with you Steven. What a petty way by Google to shut out Office 365 users? I had everything set up and was doing thru some last tests before going into production and didn't first understand why emails couldn't be sent. Now I will have to look at an Azure server instead. Too bad, I liked GCP, but this is not acceptable.

Feedback and Knowledge Base