How can we improve Google Cloud Platform?

Allow immediate deletion of projects

Currently, if you have a workflow that involves rapidly creating and destroying projects, you run into the project creation quota pretty quickly. This *appears* to be linked to the fact that projects have a non-negotiable 30 day grace period. If so, it would be great if one could just opt out of the latter, and kill a project dead immediately.

Use cases:

1. Choosing to break your setup down into very many small projects for organisational purposes.
2. Working on third-party tooling. For example, I have been contributing to the GCP provider for terraform, but have found it impossible to run acceptance tests written according to the usual patterns of the project, because they depend often on 'clean' projects being created and then destroyed.

20 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    James Turley shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andrew Farrell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Possible interfaces to achieve this, while preserving the UI safety benefits of the 30-day grace period:
        - On project creation, an optional parameter can mark a project as immediately-deletable. (default: false)
        - On project creation, an optional parameter can configure the grace period, which can be from 0 to 30 days (default: 30)
        - On project creation, an optional parameter can mark a project as automatically deleted after N minutes from 5 to 60. This means that the parameter will not accidentally get used for projects that should be durable.
        - On project creation, an optional parameter can mark a project as immediately-deletable if-and-only-if it has existed for less than 12 hours.
        - On project creation, an optional parameter can mark the length of time in hours until a project is not immediately-deletable (default: 0)

Feedback and Knowledge Base