Compute Engine

Welcome to the Google Compute Engine idea forum. You can submit and vote on ideas here to tell the Google Compute Engine team which features you’d like to see.

This forum is for feature suggestions, and is visited regularly by Google’s Product Managers. It is not actively monitored by our technical support team. If you’re looking for help forums, look here:

If you are looking to file a bug report for which you do not need 1:1 technical support, you can also visit our Public Issue Tracker

We can’t wait to hear from you!

1. Container VM Image should not have a tmpfs setup at /mnt/disks

This page describes how to add an external disk: https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/disks/add-persistent-disk but the Container VM Image (we need a working acronym for this monster) has a tmpfs with capacity 256k installed at /mnt/disks. This blocks my attempts to mount an external disk there.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Paul Nash responded

Thanks, we have shared this feedback with the Container VM Image team.

2. Group pricing history per project

We've split our GCE hosting into separate projects to get better insights into spending. However the billing history shows all the projects combined and there's no easy way to see a split per project.

Either the console should allow you to filter or group on project or the exported csv should put the project in a separate field; right now it's in the description as (Source: <project name>). Or both.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Make graphs anchoreable at a specific time.

The graphs are nice but there is no obvious way to zoom onto 1 hour 3 days ago for example. This also means that if I give the link to a console to someone and he opens it a few hours later, he won't see what I meant.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks, that’s an interesting suggestion. In the meantime, if you have a lot of needs around monitoring and graphing, you might want to check out Stackdriver, which has a richer set of functionality than the simple graphs on our console (though I’m not sure if it allows you to anchor a graph).

4. 5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Google Cloud Connector for Vmware and Hyper-V

Create something AWS Connect for Vmware to be able just drag and drop private cloud apps and servers into GCP

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Ability to set tag in instance group (and not just template)

This will be very helpful in using the same template for multiple environments, i.e. dev/staging/prod but tagging each instance with a different tag, for example web-app-dev/web-app-stg/web-app-prod

It is also possible to use these tags for deployments and configuration management tasks

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Alias tables for firewall rules

Alias tables should be for firewall rules.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. ability to replace route through api/gcloud

Please add the ability to replace an already existing route through api/gcloud.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Don't default to invalid usernames: Compute Engine broken out-of-the-box on brand new account

My Google Account e-mail address is mail@<MyCustomDomain>.com. It's my primary e-mail address I use for anything involving creating an account at a web site.

It appears that by default, Compute Engine will attempt to ssh to an instance using the e-mail address I logged in with, minus the domain. In this case, it tries to log in with username "mail". On an Ubuntu 14.04 image, "mail" is a pre-existing account with shell set to "nologin" program.

Reference: https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/ssh-in-browser#login_username

You can imagine my frustration as a totally new Compute Engine user, following the interactive "getting started" tutorial, leaving everything at defaults,…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the note, we’ll take a look. Our initial thought is that it would be difficult to determine the best set of accounts to configure such a “special” behavior for, and that doing so would be perhaps just as confusing the other way for some users. It seems like your normal behavior is a little bit out of the ordinary of what most OSes are expecting, so we’re also a little surprised that you don’t have this issue outside GCP as well.

10. Faster gcloud suggestions via caching and predictive heuristics

Currently gcloud tab suggestions are quite slow despite repeated use. At the very least better caching should be used, ideally basic predictive analysis will make the tool even better and comfortable to use.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow disabling user permissions instead of having to delete accounts.

How can I disable a user's keys/permissions for a project WITHOUT deleting them? I want to test that we can delete some keys by disabling them for a several days and confirming that nothing breaks. If it does, I want to reactivate the keys. If not, I'll delete the service account/user's permissions.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is an interesting idea – updating status to reflect that we’ve seen the request, but it’s not currently on our roadmap to implement. I’m flagging it to our PMs who work in this space for future thought though.

12. Option to turn off warnings of incurred cost

Every time I start an instance, I have to answer a prompt re incurred cost. It would be nice if this could be either on or off.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Ability to organize VMs by tags or folders

Purely for organizational purposes and is not the current "instance group" concept.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. vnc connection to windows desktop

I try to config a win2012 server but I only can connect to remote desktop, the google remote desktop not works..

that is a problem because i only can connect when all works fine in windows.

I better if I have a vnc connection directly in the website, that helps to debug, fix problems with remote desktop, and gift console access

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

we’ll look into VNC. If you are interested in console access, you have the option of configuring WinRM support on your instance.

15. Save button should be at top when editing a vm instance

When you click 'Edit' on the Compute Engine VM Instances page you must scroll to the bottom to save your changes. I think instead of just greying out the 'Edit' button it should turn into a 'Save' button.

We are lazy and don't want to scroll to the bottom. Sounds easy enough right?

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Canadian Data Centre is Requested

Many many clients asked us to host their site / app on a Canadian data centre.
    We try to use Google Cloud Platform but only Amazon and Microsoft offer Canadian hosting.

It would be the best to have the power of Google Cloud on Canadian Data Centres.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks. We are rapidly expanding the number of regions we offer in 2017, and will consider your request in our plans.

17. multi-machine graphs in the console

Show multiple trendlines and/or graphs in the default dashboards,
    for quick overview of various sets of instances.

Or make it easy to select groups like we can for pause, start, stop

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, that’s an interesting suggestion. For more advanced monitoring needs, you might be interested in looking at Stackdriver (though that’s not to say we won’t consider your suggestion).

18. Outbound firewall rules

My wish list is that you can also secure your instance's egress traffic by having the capability to have rules for specific target and ports.

If I want to protect my instance to disable internet access, I will configure (egress) to block port 80 on any target. Then I can also filter ports & IP address or IP Block for the egress traffic.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Will Hyper-V on Server 2008 and 2012 ever be supported?

I need Hyper-V availability to move my company's remote application here. It is a FoxPro application that, while antiquated and sluggish, is all that our maintenance department knows how to use. Mechanics are extremely reluctant to use technology in the first place. Getting them to change again is not an option right now.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are considering supporting nested virtualization in the future, which would likely allow Hyper-V to be run inside a GCE VM.

20. 6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion. We’d love to offer more security features and products in the future, please stay tuned!

• Don't see your idea?

Compute Engine

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base