Compute Engine

Welcome to the Google Compute Engine idea forum. You can submit and vote on ideas here to tell the Google Compute Engine team which features you’d like to see.

This forum is for feature suggestions, and is visited regularly by Google’s Product Managers. It is not actively monitored by our technical support team. If you’re looking for help forums, look here:

If you are looking to file a bug report for which you do not need 1:1 technical support, you can also visit our Public Issue Tracker

We can’t wait to hear from you!

1. Enable wait_for_changes on yet-to-be-present metadata.

On https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/metadata, under "Waiting for updates", it is described that you may do a hanging wait for changes to the metadata server by appending the query parameter ?waitforchange=true. This works if the metadata is modified, but does not work to wait for the creation of metadata. Instead, you must resort to polling for changes on a loop.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Would be great to have a UI to manage files from local machine to the instances so we can upload files

Would be great to have a UI to manage files from local machine to the instances so we can upload files

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  Paul Nash responded

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. At this time we don’t install any Google software on the guest that would be well-suited to receiving and storing those files on disk, as many customers would not want that capability (it is a potential security risk that needs to be managed). One mechanism to achieve what you want is to copy files up to Google Cloud Storage, but then you’d have to copy them onto the machine. Another method that customers who want this use would be to install an ftp daemon on the machine (and configure the firewall, etc.)

3. Show external IP addresses as links in console pages, instead of plain text to copy

When in Console pages, it would be handy if the "External IP" was given as a link to the IP (with target="_blank") instead of plain text that needs to be copied into a new tab.
    One example is the VM instance details page.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, we’ll consider it. I take it the assumption is that one wants to use the IP as a web server destination when clicking on it?

4. Configurable shutdown behavior

Allow instance/template shutdown behavior defining if an instance stops or is deleted on shutdown.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Columns configuration in VM Instances grid view

I'd like to configure the VM instances grid view in order to get more information about the instances that I have right there in that view without having to open instances detail.
    One of the information that is good to have there is the machine type.

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  Paul Nash responded

Hello all. We have now deployed column configuration options in the UI for the GCE area of our Console. We recognize that there have been several requests for additional columns, and we’re happy to implement those. If you’d like to suggest specific columns, please comment on this feature request and we’ll get to work on them! :)

6. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Cloud Shell Preconfigured Image

I'd like to spin up a larger-than-micro instance for a cloud shell (micro appears to be too small to run the HBase shell). Would save me the trouble of installing maven, sdks, etc when I provision the instance.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi, thanks for the idea. Cloud Shell is meant to be a fast and easy way to quickly interact with a VM shell, and the free nature is connected to the fact that it’s a small VM you’re getting. For more elaborate work, you may want to consider configuring an Image in GCE just the way you want it, and then spinning up instances of that Image as necessary. With our 10-minute minimum billing duration for a VM, it would likely still be quite affordable.

9. Billing data

Division of resources into projects in GCE is great. It not only makes for cleaner administration in the console, but provides simple itemisation of costs on a per-project basis. Or, rather, it ought to. GCE has the data but, as ever with billing systems, the developers and product designers apparently got bored when it came to this aspect of the UI.

What we’re having to do at the moment is go to the transaction history; export it as CSV; and then run that through a parser which establishes the project and the type of cost (VCPU, bandwidth etc) for each…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Image creation (Windows-specific)

I can’t speak for Linux images – though comment on the web and on this forum suggests that it’s similar – but Windows image creation on GCE is horrible compared to AWS.

In AWS it’s 3 mouse clicks plus typing in a name. In GCE, the instance which is the source of the image has to be permanently destroyed, and there’s a need to manually run the gcesysprep utility. Putting the cherry on the cake, the gcesysprep undoes various system changes which are a common feature of Windows administration. For example, we turn off automatic installation of Windows updates –…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your frank and detailed feedback. I believe we’ve made some improvements since the time of your post, but nonetheless we are evaluating how we can simplify this further.

11. Group billing/usage by user and/or VM

Allow administrator of several VM instances to see VM usage (grouped either by username or specific instance).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. While it’s under consideration, some of this may be possible using our Billing Export functionality.

12. Expand number of cores according to traffic

Hi
    Start the server with few cores when required we want to increase number of cores

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion, we are evaluating this request for future implementation.

13. Fix SSH keys - what a nightmare!

Fix SSH keys - what a nightmare!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Online change remote desktop port

some time i need to remote to my windows vm but i con access through special port. I think you should have online change port for it (same azure)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. More local SSDs space for larger isntances

Local SSD scratch space is independent of the instance type and each instance can only support a maximum of 4 SSDs each with 375 GB. This is a barrier for running big data workloads which require a high amount of local storage capacity per node. Can you please increase the local SSD scratch space for larger instances (VMs with 8 / 16 / 32 CPUs)?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Firewall rules - central list(s) of addresses

While GCE obviously does have filtering based on source addresses, it doesn’t have the handy “My IP” shortcut which AWS has.

What we’d really like is something which neither AWS nor GCE offers: a central white-list of addresses which can then be used in the rules on any project, such that changing the central list affects the rules in all projects. Multiple central lists would be even nicer.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Bug: the 'command line' link in the console results in deprecated scripts.

I tried using a script provided by 'command line' link (for example, I've chosen different options when creating a new VM instance in the console, then used 'command line' link to get a script that will create the instance for me in future uses).
    When I try to use the script I get an error " We noticed that you are using space-separated lists, which are deprecated. Please transition to using comma-separated lists instead".
    Seems like the command line scripts that the console generates are outdated.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Unfortunately this post got overlooked, but we’ll investigate. Thanks for the report.

18. Allow for extended scroll with using Tmux in HTERM

Currently it is not possible to enable tmux to retain excess stdout data and scroll through it. It only retains what is in the current pane.

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=331616

Looks to be possible, though I am not an expert. It would just be really nice to have full featured tmux... That way I can fully develop within a single chrome tab.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. More real-time graphical feedback on resource usage

The graphical UI makes life so much easier when it comes to managing resources at-a-glance, but the minimum increment for time is hourly. It'd be nice to be able to see whether something is eating up the CPU over the past 5, 15, and 30 minutes, with refreshes every 5-10 seconds.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, we’ll investigate this, but if you really need that kind of metrics detail, you may be better served by a more dedicated monitoring tool (like Stackdriver?)

20. Instance mirror

Add possibility to have a mirror of another instance in production at the time that something happens to the instance automatically pass to the other. Among the instances there is a simultaneous data synchronization to meet this need and it's only change the IP if necessary

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, some customers have asked for this. Depending on your software, this may require network features that are not supported in GCP at this time.

• Don't see your idea?

Compute Engine

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base