Compute Engine

Welcome to the Google Compute Engine idea forum. You can submit and vote on ideas here to tell the Google Compute Engine team which features you’d like to see.

This forum is for feature suggestions, and is visited regularly by Google’s Product Managers. It is not actively monitored by our technical support team. If you’re looking for help forums, look here:

If you are looking to file a bug report for which you do not need 1:1 technical support, you can also visit our Public Issue Tracker

We can’t wait to hear from you!

1. Centralized patch/update management across instances

It would be great if we had the ability to centralize view and manage the software update status of all of our Linux instances (maybe Windows as well). It would remove the need to have to rely on third-party tools for multiple instance patch management.

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. VM online resize of CPU/Memory

KVM supports online resize of CPU/memory, but GCE only supports offline resizing.

Online resizing of number of CPUs and memory would be very helpful to be able to handle (rare or frequently recurring) spikes for relational database workloads, where a couple of minutes of downtime to resize would not be an option.

Autoscaling based on system load would of course be a bonus, but is not initially required, as it is easily to script this in any case.

That a VM would have to be live migrated to scale up is completely acceptable IMO.

183 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. https://console.cloud.google.com/compute/instanceGroups/add

Instance template select: please add auto completer.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Status icon on main GCE window to enable to check whether user's startup-script is successfully run or not.

Currently users have to click serial console of each instance after run the instance(s) which startup-script is configured, for example, jupyter server, flask, etc...

To overcome the lazy action, GCE always check user's startup-script running and show the color status icon on main window of GCE instance list, which explains it outputs error or not.
    RED icon: error occur in user's startup-script
    YELLOW icon: Warning occur in user's startup-script
    BLUE icon: Successfully run!

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Add note about maximum execution time allowed for shutdown script on preemption event of a preemptible instance

Add note about maximum execution time allowed for shutdown script on preemption event for a preemptible instance

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. New zone in Russia

Russia should have a zone

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Operations page should show scopes (global, regional, or zonal) as a column and/or in details page

Compute Engine > Operations page should have a column that specifies if the operation is Global, Regional, or Zonal. The API has three distinct methods: globalOperations, regionOperations and zoneOperations. The only way to tell which method the API should be calling is to view the operation details and see it in the URL. There isn't even a field in the details page to specify the scope.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add Search Option for selecting compute engine image

Please add 'Search' feature while selecting the image option during creation of Compute Engine.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. When I search for dev, the search returns *dev which means the prefix '*' can be anything. I want the exact match results to be displayed.

The search results display all the relevant results but it would be better if the search displays the exact match which is requested?
    If I search for dev, the results show mobdev, reldev, dev01, etc.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. VM Instances list - Refresh: Does not update the IP address

The External IP field does not get updated automatically or even with Refresh button :

I resumed my laptop with the instances view already visible with the old IP.
    I restarted the engine with the old IP was visible.
    I was not able to login with SSH.
    I was able to login with browser window and the system is up but the IP is still wrong, even clicking the refresh button many times.

Fetching the real IP from the internet let me access the site with SSH.

But clicking left on Instance Groups and then back to VM instances immediately…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow us to export Storage more than 2TB to Cloud Storage.

Currently, users can create a disk more than 2TB, however, disk-image exporting size is allowed for less than 2TB. Users needs backup by exporting to Cloud Stoage in many case. Please consider this situation.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Support Custom ISO upload

Please support custom ISO upload so we can use operating systems not offered by Compute Engine. Such as modified/slimmed down Linux distros.

Will also let people customers upload Windows Desktop OS without Google having to figure out complicated licensing with MS.

156 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    16 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for you suggestion. ISO support is something we’re looking at, although importing a disk image for an OS that Google does not publish an image for is already possible, through the process of creating your own image 1. Note that existing ISO images cannot run without first being modified to include the necessary OS drivers to support GCE’s virtual hardware devices (at least disk and networking). It may not be the case that all Linux distributions can support those.

However: we would not implement this for the purpose of allowing customers to violate Microsoft licensing, because we cannot legitimately support scenarios that Microsoft has disallowed. There is currently no available option for anybody to run Microsoft Desktop OSs on any public multi-tenant cloud that we are aware. You have to use dedicated hardware.

1 https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/images/import-existing-image

14. Insert copy button for every instance public IP address

Very simple feature, add a button or link next to Public IP address in order to copy it! It will save a lot of time.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. add internal ip ssh support to cloud console

It would be nice to ssh into an instance that doesn't have an external IP via the cloud console. This is currently supported by gcloud beta (however, it hangs for me), but this is not nearly as user friendly/efficient as sshing via the cloud console.

This is an important feature as there are quotas for the # of external IPs a project can have in a region. For most of my instances, I don't need external IPs, but I have to have them in order to ssh into them via the cloud console. This forces me to hit the quota…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Logs/diagnostics for HTTP Health checks

There seems currently no way to know whether an HTTP health check is correctly configured, whether the health check requests are being issued, or if they are and the responses are failing, or what the error responses are.

For example, in my case, I forgot to add the firewall rule that is needed to allow health check requests to reach the VM. And trying to debug the app, or http health check config is futile. You have to recognize requests aren't coming through, then read the docs carefully to know about the firewall rules.

Instead I'd expect a more useful…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Have a way to select the cheapest region with one click

For much of what I do, the region is not important for latency or data protection, but the cost is. I should be able to select an instance type, then the cheapest place to run that type with one click, rather than having to try them all and see which costs less.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your feedback, we’ll take it under consideration. In the meantime, generally the three US “1” regions (us-west1, us-central1, us-east1) typically have the lowest prices. Other regions will vary depending on the cost of providing services in those regions.

18. Don't require --zone for gcloud compute instances commands

It would be nice not to have to specify the zone of an instance when using the gcloud command.

More details:
    If a default zone and region are configured, then gcloud will operate on resources if they are in the same zone. Resources in other zones will result in an error. This includes "stop", "start", "reset", "describe".
    If a default zone and region are not configured, it prompts for confirmation about the zone, which requires interaction with the script. The --quiet flag isn't really effective, because a reply to the question is necessary.

Example:
    $ gcloud compute ssh instance-2
    Did…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. % usage of GPU in the instances of virtual machines

Please add some graphic for monitoring the % usage of GPU of virtual machine. This feature could be very usefull and really good when you use a virtual machine with a powerfull GPU like P100 or V100

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Save console output after machine shutdown

If a machine shutdowns, the serial console log is lost. This makes debugging harder for such cases where the machine shutdowns during boot or otherwise

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Compute Engine

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base