Compute Engine

Welcome to the Google Compute Engine idea forum. You can submit and vote on ideas here to tell the Google Compute Engine team which features you’d like to see.

This forum is for feature suggestions, and is visited regularly by Google’s Product Managers. It is not actively monitored by our technical support team. If you’re looking for help forums, look here:

If you are looking to file a bug report for which you do not need 1:1 technical support, you can also visit our Public Issue Tracker

We can’t wait to hear from you!

1. Debit card should also be accepted as a valid payment method

You should start accepting debit cards as a payment method in India because students cant use gcp and its features since students cant get a credit card in India.

309 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Paul Nash responded

We’ve evaluated this before, and are unlikely to make any changes here soon, but I’m leaving it open to allow for other users to be able to vote.

2. Rename confusing VM Instance "reset" menu option to "hard restart"

I found "reset" option under the "VM instances" list, right click on an instance menu highly confusing. It would be more intuitive to call it "hard restart".

Some (me and my colleague) then saw the option and initially thought about it as a way to reset a host to the state right after the instance creation. Not as "hard restart"

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback. “Naming is hard,” as they say. :/ While we’ll definitely take your feedback under consideration, it is not highly likely that we’ll change this unless we get a ton of feedback on it, because it has been this way a long time, and changing the wording at this point would add even more confusion for our users who used to know it the other way. Also note, the word comes from the model that the button on a real machine is called “reset.” What you’re talking about of “reverting” an instance to its clean state would be a different feature akin to “restoring to a snapshot” or re-creating the disk from the Image, essentially.

3. Please let us add more storage...

Even after the 65536 Limit

I can’t seem to add other drives EVEN after quota increase

Also I usually get lot of errors making big VMs due to availability

Please please improve

I want at least 100Tb storage as external!

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks, as you mention 64TB is the current limit for total attached storage capacity, regardless of how many disks you use. We’re always considering improvements and will update this item if we and an increase to our plans.

4. Ability to transfer the reserved static ip addresses to another GCP project I own

When transferring k8s cluster to another gcp project due to billing issues, we had to release and reserve the new static ip addresses. But the old ones we had whitelisted on several endpoints, updating which takes quite a while. It would be great if we could just transfer those ip addresses to another gcp project we own.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks, we’ve shared this suggestion with the feature team so they may consider it for their backlog.

5. VM online resize of CPU/Memory

KVM supports online resize of CPU/memory, but GCE only supports offline resizing.

Online resizing of number of CPUs and memory would be very helpful to be able to handle (rare or frequently recurring) spikes for relational database workloads, where a couple of minutes of downtime to resize would not be an option.

Autoscaling based on system load would of course be a bonus, but is not initially required, as it is easily to script this in any case.

That a VM would have to be live migrated to scale up is completely acceptable IMO.

226 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion, this is something we’d certainly like to investigate in the future.

6. Add Stackdriver agent in COS (Container-Optimized OS)

The Stackdriver agent is currently not supported by COS. I should be available to be able to use "gcplogs" as Docker logging driver.

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. New zone in Russia

Russia should have a zone

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion, we’re always planning for new regions in the future, we’ll take this into consideration.

8. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry, but I don’t understand what you’re requesting… could you please elaborate this request?

9. ARM based VMs and Functions

More energy efficient and low cost, ARM based VMs might be fine. Cluoud Functions may be a good use-case. AWS launched and some other small vendors are on the track.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, we’re of course aware of the industry’s ongoing conversation about different processor options and are always considering possible future offerings, but we don’t have anything to announce at this time.

10. VM Instances list - Refresh: Does not update the IP address

The External IP field does not get updated automatically or even with Refresh button :

I resumed my laptop with the instances view already visible with the old IP.
    I restarted the engine with the old IP was visible.
    I was not able to login with SSH.
    I was able to login with browser window and the system is up but the IP is still wrong, even clicking the refresh button many times.

Fetching the real IP from the internet let me access the site with SSH.

But clicking left on Instance Groups and then back to VM instances immediately…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Support Custom ISO upload

Please support custom ISO upload so we can use operating systems not offered by Compute Engine. Such as modified/slimmed down Linux distros.

Will also let people customers upload Windows Desktop OS without Google having to figure out complicated licensing with MS.

177 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for you suggestion. ISO support is something we’re looking at, although importing a disk image for an OS that Google does not publish an image for is already possible, through the process of creating your own image 1. Note that existing ISO images cannot run without first being modified to include the necessary OS drivers to support GCE’s virtual hardware devices (at least disk and networking). It may not be the case that all Linux distributions can support those.

However: we would not implement this for the purpose of allowing customers to violate Microsoft licensing, because we cannot legitimately support scenarios that Microsoft has disallowed. There is currently no available option for anybody to run Microsoft Desktop OSs on any public multi-tenant cloud that we are aware. You have to use dedicated hardware.

1 https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/images/import-existing-image

12. Insert copy button for every instance public IP address

Very simple feature, add a button or link next to Public IP address in order to copy it! It will save a lot of time.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, I’ll pass this suggestion to our UI team for consideration.

13. Have a way to select the cheapest region with one click

For much of what I do, the region is not important for latency or data protection, but the cost is. I should be able to select an instance type, then the cheapest place to run that type with one click, rather than having to try them all and see which costs less.

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your feedback, we’ll take it under consideration. In the meantime, generally the three US “1” regions (us-west1, us-central1, us-east1) typically have the lowest prices. Other regions will vary depending on the cost of providing services in those regions.

14. Multi-regional compute groups

I have a Web App.

Reducing latency is very important for my Web App. I host the static content on CDN, but for dynamic content I create Compute Instances in multiple regions. All these instances are exact replicas of my Web App.

To create these instances, I:

Create Instance Group per Region (multiple Instance Groups but exact same configuration and Instance Template).

Add these Instance Groups to Back end Service for Load Balancer.

Every time I roll out an update or do some maintenance work, I regret why I don’t have a single Multi Regional Group.

• My Web App receives…
    17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks very much for adding the extra detail to your request – this is very clear, and is in line with what we thought you might be asking for. I’ve shared your FR with the managed infrastructure team, who are thinking about these scenarios for future enhancements.

15. ability to run startup script only once

I'd like to use startup script to initially bootstrap my VM. After that I will manage it using Puppet/Chef/Ansible.
    It seems counter productive to run the script every time the instance reboots. If the configuration needs to change, Puppet/Chef/Ansible will take care of it.
    If nothing works, VM gets deleted and another one comes up.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks, we’ll look into this. In the meantime, it seems like you could accomplish something like this by having the first successful run of your script create a “touch file” (“touch ~/.ran-startup-script”) and then have your script check for that file as the first thing it does, and if it exists on the disk, then just exit.

16. add label for snapshot

When creating a VM from a snapshot, there should be some type of label that tells you what snapshot it was.

When creating a VM from an image, same thing.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Please take a look at the “sourceImage” property that you can get by doing "gcloud compute disks describe " and see if it meets your needs.

If not, please post back by comment and let us know how we could provide additional capability.

17. Configure Health Check with HTTP authentification basic and expected value.

I want to use an API URL with basic HTTP authentication in Health Check.

The API return on / off string.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. shrink disk for small its size without downtime in services running on it

i have a special need with an instance running a server and it cant have any downtime, previously i had to increase its disk size for a eventuality but now isnt necesary that space.
    I think that maybe its posible add this feature with a workload using a shrink disk and add the feature of delete the useless volume generated, or something that make possible small its size, like we can grow it in the console actually

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the request. We currently don’t support shrinking disk volumes currently, but it’s something we’re considering for the future.

19. 7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Support HTTP(S) Internal Load Balancers

Currently internal load balancing only works with TCP/UDP. HTTP Internal Load Balancing would simplify our QA env setup.

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, our networking team has this on their roadmap. This item will be updated as it nears planning and implementation/release.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14
  • Don't see your idea?

Compute Engine

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base