Compute Engine

Welcome to the Google Compute Engine idea forum. You can submit and vote on ideas here to tell the Google Compute Engine team which features you’d like to see.

This forum is for feature suggestions, and is visited regularly by Google’s Product Managers. It is not actively monitored by our technical support team. If you’re looking for help forums, look here:

If you are looking to file a bug report for which you do not need 1:1 technical support, you can also visit our Public Issue Tracker

We can’t wait to hear from you!

1. stop/start an instance group to save money

Our company needs an auto-scaled instance group for testing purpose, but would like to be able to "pause" it (= stop all instances) while we are not using it.

Actually we loose money if we keep it running, or need to delete the group everytime we want to "pause" it.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Option to turn off warnings of incurred cost

Every time I start an instance, I have to answer a prompt re incurred cost. It would be nice if this could be either on or off.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ability to organize VMs by tags or folders

Purely for organizational purposes and is not the current "instance group" concept.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. UI to move Instances between Project

in the UI be able to move instances between Projects

75 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Canadian Data Centre is Requested

Many many clients asked us to host their site / app on a Canadian data centre.
    We try to use Google Cloud Platform but only Amazon and Microsoft offer Canadian hosting.

It would be the best to have the power of Google Cloud on Canadian Data Centres.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Vietnam Province list is not sorted correctly

It's minor but make me confuse a bit when get start to use.
    When enable Google Cloud service. See attached screenshot.
    https://flic.kr/p/ETvDnv
    HOCHIMINH CITY should come with H....

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. multi-machine graphs in the console

Show multiple trendlines and/or graphs in the default dashboards,
    for quick overview of various sets of instances.

Or make it easy to select groups like we can for pause, start, stop

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Ability to change Cloud API access scopes on launched instances

Being able to change access scopes on an already launched instance should already be possible. It is a little ridiculous to have to disable boot disk deletion, delete the instance, and start a new instance (making sure all the other configuration is the same) just to change access scopes to use a feature you had not considered when first creating the instance. This is something that is very easy to do in AWS using IAM roles/instance profiles.

513 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    32 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello all, I’m happy to announce that you can now change the service account or access scopes on a stopped VM. This feature is available to all users via a beta command, as documented at https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/access/create-enable-service-accounts-for-instances#changeserviceaccountandscopes

Thanks for your patience while we completed deploying this feature.

Note, we are still planning to add the ability to change scopes on a running VM in a future update (it’s at the very top of our list, we know it is a highly requested feature).

9. Will Hyper-V on Server 2008 and 2012 ever be supported?

I need Hyper-V availability to move my company's remote application here. It is a FoxPro application that, while antiquated and sluggish, is all that our maintenance department knows how to use. Mechanics are extremely reluctant to use technology in the first place. Getting them to change again is not an option right now.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. The ability to automatically stop instances when a budget is reached.

A user should have the ability so set a hard budget for their cloud spending.

This would allow users when setting up a budget to select an option that if that budget is exceeded that all the corrisponding instances would be stopped until the budget is expanded or a new billing period beings. Note this would be an opt in capability so that users won't have their instances stopped unless they choose that functionality.

This type of functionality would allow users to prevent run away configurations from doing financial harm to their companies allowing customers who are currently unwilling to…

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. vnc connection to windows desktop

I try to config a win2012 server but I only can connect to remote desktop, the google remote desktop not works..

that is a problem because i only can connect when all works fine in windows.

I better if I have a vnc connection directly in the website, that helps to debug, fix problems with remote desktop, and gift console access

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. it would be nice if you could see the instance pricing all the time and not only when you create it.

When you create a compute engine instance, you can effectively see the calculated price that you will pay for a month of service, however once you already have an instance running and you add a new hard drive for example, you can no longer see how much will it cost to run for a month. also it should be clear if you pay for the space even if you don't use it, if when you create a new partition it means all space is used.

regards

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Enable wait_for_changes on yet-to-be-present metadata.

On https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/metadata, under "Waiting for updates", it is described that you may do a hanging wait for changes to the metadata server by appending the query parameter ?waitforchange=true. This works if the metadata is modified, but does not work to wait for the creation of metadata. Instead, you must resort to polling for changes on a loop.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Show external IP addresses as links in console pages, instead of plain text to copy

When in Console pages, it would be handy if the "External IP" was given as a link to the IP (with target="_blank") instead of plain text that needs to be copied into a new tab.
    One example is the VM instance details page.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Configurable shutdown behavior

Allow instance/template shutdown behavior defining if an instance stops or is deleted on shutdown.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Save button should be at top when editing a vm instance

When you click 'Edit' on the Compute Engine VM Instances page you must scroll to the bottom to save your changes. I think instead of just greying out the 'Edit' button it should turn into a 'Save' button.

We are lazy and don't want to scroll to the bottom. Sounds easy enough right?

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Please unblock port 25 (allow outbound mail connections)

This is of course already addressed in you documentation, but as far as we're concerned the given answer is inappropriate for us. We do not wish to spam anyone, send mass emails, or abuse the system in any other way. I would expect the service to allow us the chance to prove this and not block such outgoing traffic until any actual offense takes place.
    I was very pleased to have started work on your platform, but this single issue is likely to force me to search for a different provider.

589 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    45 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello folks,

We are currently testing a new option that may help people send mail without using a third party service. If you are interested in testing this product, please fill out the interest request form here1. Product Management for the feature may reach out to you.

We are also continuing to make improvements to our system to allow for some customers that have an established relationship with us to apply for an exception to be able to send directly on port 25. There are a number of IP reputation issues that have to be worked through for such a use case, so it should not be considered a common solution that will meet everyone’s needs.

We will have more updates on both of these items over time.

1 https://www.google.com/url?q=https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScg6ponYf4bc9HftBh4H4LypqpqKm3AS3bEJ20u_EfgTw59GQ/viewform&sa=D&source=hangouts&ust=1539107700687000&usg=AFQjCNFJ4f8dyp1OgCLUwjeLWoUKY1-Z6Q

19. Outbound firewall rules

My wish list is that you can also secure your instance's egress traffic by having the capability to have rules for specific target and ports.

If I want to protect my instance to disable internet access, I will configure (egress) to block port 80 on any target. Then I can also filter ports & IP address or IP Block for the egress traffic.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Would be great to have a UI to manage files from local machine to the instances so we can upload files

Would be great to have a UI to manage files from local machine to the instances so we can upload files

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. At this time we don’t install any Google software on the guest that would be well-suited to receiving and storing those files on disk, as many customers would not want that capability (it is a potential security risk that needs to be managed). One mechanism to achieve what you want is to copy files up to Google Cloud Storage, but then you’d have to copy them onto the machine. Another method that customers who want this use would be to install an ftp daemon on the machine (and configure the firewall, etc.)

• Don't see your idea?

Compute Engine

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base