Compute Engine

Welcome to the Google Compute Engine idea forum. You can submit and vote on ideas here to tell the Google Compute Engine team which features you’d like to see.

This forum is for feature suggestions, and is visited regularly by Google’s Product Managers. It is not actively monitored by our technical support team. If you’re looking for help forums, look here:

If you are looking to file a bug report for which you do not need 1:1 technical support, you can also visit our Public Issue Tracker

We can’t wait to hear from you!

1. Set "Delete boot disk when instance is deleted" to "false" by default

Not sure whose idea it was to prefer convenience over permanent data destruction in the defaults for creating a new VM. The default should be safe and forgiving, not deadly.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Paul Nash responded

Thanks, we understand your point of view, and definitely choosing defaults is difficult to do. We will evaluate your suggestion, but please understand that it may be difficult to change, since it could be considered a breaking change to the API (many customers no doubt rely on assumptions of the current behavior at this point).

2. 5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Google Cloud Connector for Vmware and Hyper-V

Create something AWS Connect for Vmware to be able just drag and drop private cloud apps and servers into GCP

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Don't default to invalid usernames: Compute Engine broken out-of-the-box on brand new account

My Google Account e-mail address is mail@<MyCustomDomain>.com. It's my primary e-mail address I use for anything involving creating an account at a web site.

It appears that by default, Compute Engine will attempt to ssh to an instance using the e-mail address I logged in with, minus the domain. In this case, it tries to log in with username "mail". On an Ubuntu 14.04 image, "mail" is a pre-existing account with shell set to "nologin" program.

Reference: https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/ssh-in-browser#login_username

You can imagine my frustration as a totally new Compute Engine user, following the interactive "getting started" tutorial, leaving everything at defaults,…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the note, we’ll take a look. Our initial thought is that it would be difficult to determine the best set of accounts to configure such a “special” behavior for, and that doing so would be perhaps just as confusing the other way for some users. It seems like your normal behavior is a little bit out of the ordinary of what most OSes are expecting, so we’re also a little surprised that you don’t have this issue outside GCP as well.

5. Faster gcloud suggestions via caching and predictive heuristics

Currently gcloud tab suggestions are quite slow despite repeated use. At the very least better caching should be used, ideally basic predictive analysis will make the tool even better and comfortable to use.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. 5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Compute Engine SSL Install

Can we please get either a decent walk through and/or a quick install feature for SSL certificates. I hate spending hours trying to figure out the particulars of Google Cloud engine and not being able to replicate the issue because it only happens in Google Cloud. Thanks!

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow disabling user permissions instead of having to delete accounts.

How can I disable a user's keys/permissions for a project WITHOUT deleting them? I want to test that we can delete some keys by disabling them for a several days and confirming that nothing breaks. If it does, I want to reactivate the keys. If not, I'll delete the service account/user's permissions.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is an interesting idea – updating status to reflect that we’ve seen the request, but it’s not currently on our roadmap to implement. I’m flagging it to our PMs who work in this space for future thought though.

9. Allow Changing VM network

Allow changing network after VM is created. Currently I have to snapshot then create new VM from snapshot to change network. +1 for allowing multiple network cards.

98 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  Paul Nash responded

This item is on our radar for future work, but no date is currently available (there are a number of items in front of it).

Note: Multiple NICs has been available for a while in production (unfortunately this feature request post is quite old and refers to a time when it wasn’t available yet).

10. Auto stop Compute Engine after x time idle

When you're running experiments & you don't know when it will stop : enable an auto stop after it's finished

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. stop/start an instance group to save money

Our company needs an auto-scaled instance group for testing purpose, but would like to be able to "pause" it (= stop all instances) while we are not using it.

Actually we loose money if we keep it running, or need to delete the group everytime we want to "pause" it.

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Have you tried editing the instance group to set its size to zero? I believe this will cause the instance group to spin down all the VMs which is what you want to happen.

12. Option to turn off warnings of incurred cost

Every time I start an instance, I have to answer a prompt re incurred cost. It would be nice if this could be either on or off.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Ability to organize VMs by tags or folders

Purely for organizational purposes and is not the current "instance group" concept.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. UI to move Instances between Project

in the UI be able to move instances between Projects

84 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Canadian Data Centre is Requested

Many many clients asked us to host their site / app on a Canadian data centre.
    We try to use Google Cloud Platform but only Amazon and Microsoft offer Canadian hosting.

It would be the best to have the power of Google Cloud on Canadian Data Centres.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks. We are rapidly expanding the number of regions we offer in 2017, and will consider your request in our plans.

16. Vietnam Province list is not sorted correctly

It's minor but make me confuse a bit when get start to use.
    When enable Google Cloud service. See attached screenshot.
    https://flic.kr/p/ETvDnv
    HOCHIMINH CITY should come with H....

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. multi-machine graphs in the console

Show multiple trendlines and/or graphs in the default dashboards,
    for quick overview of various sets of instances.

Or make it easy to select groups like we can for pause, start, stop

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, that’s an interesting suggestion. For more advanced monitoring needs, you might be interested in looking at Stackdriver (though that’s not to say we won’t consider your suggestion).

18. Ability to change Cloud API access scopes on launched instances

Being able to change access scopes on an already launched instance should already be possible. It is a little ridiculous to have to disable boot disk deletion, delete the instance, and start a new instance (making sure all the other configuration is the same) just to change access scopes to use a feature you had not considered when first creating the instance. This is something that is very easy to do in AWS using IAM roles/instance profiles.

522 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    33 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    available (pre-GA)  ·  Paul Nash responded

Hello all, I’m happy to announce that you can now change the service account or access scopes on a stopped VM. This feature is available to all users via a beta command, as documented at https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/access/create-enable-service-accounts-for-instances#changeserviceaccountandscopes

Thanks for your patience while we completed deploying this feature.

Note, we are still planning to add the ability to change scopes on a running VM in a future update (it’s at the very top of our list, we know it is a highly requested feature).

19. Will Hyper-V on Server 2008 and 2012 ever be supported?

I need Hyper-V availability to move my company's remote application here. It is a FoxPro application that, while antiquated and sluggish, is all that our maintenance department knows how to use. Mechanics are extremely reluctant to use technology in the first place. Getting them to change again is not an option right now.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are considering supporting nested virtualization in the future, which would likely allow Hyper-V to be run inside a GCE VM.

20. The ability to automatically stop instances when a budget is reached.

A user should have the ability so set a hard budget for their cloud spending.

This would allow users when setting up a budget to select an option that if that budget is exceeded that all the corrisponding instances would be stopped until the budget is expanded or a new billing period beings. Note this would be an opt in capability so that users won't have their instances stopped unless they choose that functionality.

This type of functionality would allow users to prevent run away configurations from doing financial harm to their companies allowing customers who are currently unwilling to…

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Compute Engine

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base