Compute Engine

Welcome to the Google Compute Engine idea forum. You can submit and vote on ideas here to tell the Google Compute Engine team which features you’d like to see.

This forum is for feature suggestions, and is visited regularly by Google’s Product Managers. It is not actively monitored by our technical support team. If you’re looking for help forums, look here:

If you are looking to file a bug report for which you do not need 1:1 technical support, you can also visit our Public Issue Tracker

We can’t wait to hear from you!

1. You need a better way to pull in google ip ranges to allow ssh via the browser through the console

It seems I need to open up my servers to everyone to SSH into on port 22 or I can't SSH from the console. The suggestion is to use SPF records but it's not clear to me how you would do that. The help page linked from the error page after attempting to ssh from the console leads to a page specific to email spf records.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the comment, sorry for the delay getting to it.

As far as I understand it, even though it’s a browser based SSH session, the connection is direct to your browser window, not via a Google server, so port 22 would need to be open to your IP address (not ours).

I wasn’t able to find the page you’re referring to about SPF, I agree that doesn’t make a ton of sense, since email is one of the very few things that uses SPF. If you happen to find the link to the page you’re referring to, please post it here as a comment.

Also, if you need help troubleshooting SSH, I would encourage you to hop on the gce-discussion Google Group, where a larger community of users and Google support engineers congregate to discuss/diagnose users’ questions.

2. Add possibility to rename an image

I would like to change an image name.

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Currently we require that a new image be created using the same source data, which we understand is convoluted. We’re considering improving this in the future, as well as copying/moving.

3. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. network usage

Would be helpful to allow me to give you an interval and you tell me how much network bandwidth is consumed during that time interval for a vm. My bill is charged by GB, not B/sec.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. cloning the VM

I need to install 5 - 6 softwares from the standard ubuntu VM and it is difficult for students to configure them. I want a option to clone my vms and allow the students to login, once I installed all required software on one VM and cloned it to 100. Is it possible to give the clone option via UI?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are considering this. One option would be for you to setup the machine the way you want it, shut it down, take a snapshot of the disk, and make an Image from the snapshot. Students can then create their own VMs using that image, with all configuration done. Or if students have their own project, you can share the image with them via IAM’s new beta imageUser role.

7. Permit custom DHCP options (DNS servers, domain-names)

It would be very helpful if I can specify DHCP options in my networks, minimally the DNS servers. In our use case, we have have a VPN that connects back to our internal network and large amount of infrastructure that does not have external DNS entries. (So the GCP router/DNS server can't see it).

It would be much easier if per-network we can just default these entries instead of fixing /etc/resolv.conf post-dhclient

Similarly, domain-name, search order, NTP would also be useful.

209 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi folks,

Thanks for the continued input on this item. We are taking a further look at this request, but it is not currently scheduled for implementation (we work in priority order, taking feedback from customers, here, and other sources).

8. Group billing/usage by user and/or VM

Allow administrator of several VM instances to see VM usage (grouped either by username or specific instance).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Increase Google Console Security with password confirmation in VM deletion and other critical issues

Increase Google Console Security with password confirmation in VM deletion and other critical issues.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Online change remote desktop port

some time i need to remote to my windows vm but i con access through special port. I think you should have online change port for it (same azure)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Firewall rules - central list(s) of addresses

While GCE obviously does have filtering based on source addresses, it doesn’t have the handy “My IP” shortcut which AWS has.

What we’d really like is something which neither AWS nor GCE offers: a central white-list of addresses which can then be used in the rules on any project, such that changing the central list affects the rules in all projects. Multiple central lists would be even nicer.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Billing data

Division of resources into projects in GCE is great. It not only makes for cleaner administration in the console, but provides simple itemisation of costs on a per-project basis. Or, rather, it ought to. GCE has the data but, as ever with billing systems, the developers and product designers apparently got bored when it came to this aspect of the UI.

What we’re having to do at the moment is go to the transaction history; export it as CSV; and then run that through a parser which establishes the project and the type of cost (VCPU, bandwidth etc) for each…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Sharing snapshots and images across projects

I don’t know how Google expect the majority of people to use projects in GCE, but we are mainly interested in them as a better way than is available in AWS of dividing resources up between cost centres. We might occasionally end up giving third-parties access to a specific project (e.g. giving a client access to the servers which we run on their behalf), but our main interest in GCE projects relates to internal administration and cost control.

In this context, it is a nuisance that a snapshot created in one project cannot be used in another project, and that…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Image creation (Windows-specific)

I can’t speak for Linux images – though comment on the web and on this forum suggests that it’s similar – but Windows image creation on GCE is horrible compared to AWS.

In AWS it’s 3 mouse clicks plus typing in a name. In GCE, the instance which is the source of the image has to be permanently destroyed, and there’s a need to manually run the gcesysprep utility. Putting the cherry on the cake, the gcesysprep undoes various system changes which are a common feature of Windows administration. For example, we turn off automatic installation of Windows updates –…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Cloud Shell Preconfigured Image

I'd like to spin up a larger-than-micro instance for a cloud shell (micro appears to be too small to run the HBase shell). Would save me the trouble of installing maven, sdks, etc when I provision the instance.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi, thanks for the idea. Cloud Shell is meant to be a fast and easy way to quickly interact with a VM shell, and the free nature is connected to the fact that it’s a small VM you’re getting. For more elaborate work, you may want to consider configuring an Image in GCE just the way you want it, and then spinning up instances of that Image as necessary. With our 10-minute minimum billing duration for a VM, it would likely still be quite affordable.

16. Could I see my current cost easily?

I just started.
    I can see a graph of my VM instances' utilization.
    Could you add an option for me to see my current total due?
    Cost management is important for me.

Thank you

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Fix SSH keys - what a nightmare!

Fix SSH keys - what a nightmare!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Bug: the 'command line' link in the console results in deprecated scripts.

I tried using a script provided by 'command line' link (for example, I've chosen different options when creating a new VM instance in the console, then used 'command line' link to get a script that will create the instance for me in future uses).
    When I try to use the script I get an error " We noticed that you are using space-separated lists, which are deprecated. Please transition to using comma-separated lists instead".
    Seems like the command line scripts that the console generates are outdated.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. More local SSDs space for larger isntances

Local SSD scratch space is independent of the instance type and each instance can only support a maximum of 4 SSDs each with 375 GB. This is a barrier for running big data workloads which require a high amount of local storage capacity per node. Can you please increase the local SSD scratch space for larger instances (VMs with 8 / 16 / 32 CPUs)?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Columns configuration in VM Instances grid view

I'd like to configure the VM instances grid view in order to get more information about the instances that I have right there in that view without having to open instances detail.
    One of the information that is good to have there is the machine type.

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello all. We have now deployed column configuration options in the UI for the GCE area of our Console. We recognize that there have been several requests for additional columns, and we’re happy to implement those. If you’d like to suggest specific columns, please comment on this feature request and we’ll get to work on them! :)

• Don't see your idea?

Compute Engine

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base