Compute Engine

Welcome to the Google Compute Engine idea forum. You can submit and vote on ideas here to tell the Google Compute Engine team which features you’d like to see.

This forum is for feature suggestions, and is visited regularly by Google’s Product Managers. It is not actively monitored by our technical support team. If you’re looking for help forums, look here:

If you are looking to file a bug report for which you do not need 1:1 technical support, you can also visit our Public Issue Tracker

We can’t wait to hear from you!

1. vnc connection to windows desktop

I try to config a win2012 server but I only can connect to remote desktop, the google remote desktop not works..

that is a problem because i only can connect when all works fine in windows.

I better if I have a vnc connection directly in the website, that helps to debug, fix problems with remote desktop, and gift console access

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Paul Nash responded

we’ll look into VNC. If you are interested in console access, you have the option of configuring WinRM support on your instance.

2. it would be nice if you could see the instance pricing all the time and not only when you create it.

When you create a compute engine instance, you can effectively see the calculated price that you will pay for a month of service, however once you already have an instance running and you add a new hard drive for example, you can no longer see how much will it cost to run for a month. also it should be clear if you pay for the space even if you don't use it, if when you create a new partition it means all space is used.

regards

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a nice idea – thanks, we’ll consider extending the calculator into more places.

3. Enable wait_for_changes on yet-to-be-present metadata.

On https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/metadata, under "Waiting for updates", it is described that you may do a hanging wait for changes to the metadata server by appending the query parameter ?waitforchange=true. This works if the metadata is modified, but does not work to wait for the creation of metadata. Instead, you must resort to polling for changes on a loop.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion. We’d love to offer more security features and products in the future, please stay tuned!

5. Show external IP addresses as links in console pages, instead of plain text to copy

When in Console pages, it would be handy if the "External IP" was given as a link to the IP (with target="_blank") instead of plain text that needs to be copied into a new tab.
    One example is the VM instance details page.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, we’ll consider it. I take it the assumption is that one wants to use the IP as a web server destination when clicking on it?

6. Configurable shutdown behavior

Allow instance/template shutdown behavior defining if an instance stops or is deleted on shutdown.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Save button should be at top when editing a vm instance

When you click 'Edit' on the Compute Engine VM Instances page you must scroll to the bottom to save your changes. I think instead of just greying out the 'Edit' button it should turn into a 'Save' button.

We are lazy and don't want to scroll to the bottom. Sounds easy enough right?

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Please unblock port 25 (allow outbound mail connections)

This is of course already addressed in you documentation, but as far as we're concerned the given answer is inappropriate for us. We do not wish to spam anyone, send mass emails, or abuse the system in any other way. I would expect the service to allow us the chance to prove this and not block such outgoing traffic until any actual offense takes place.
    I was very pleased to have started work on your platform, but this single issue is likely to force me to search for a different provider.

722 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    59 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  Paul Nash responded

Hello folks,

We are currently testing a new option that may help people send mail without using a third party service. If you are interested in testing this product, please fill out the interest request form here1. Product Management for the feature may reach out to you.

We are also continuing to make improvements to our system to allow for some customers that have an established relationship with us to apply for an exception to be able to send directly on port 25. There are a number of IP reputation issues that have to be worked through for such a use case, so it should not be considered a common solution that will meet everyone’s needs.

We will have more updates on both of these items over time.

1 https://www.google.com/url?q=https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScg6ponYf4bc9HftBh4H4LypqpqKm3AS3bEJ20u_EfgTw59GQ/viewform&sa=D&source=hangouts&ust=1539107700687000&usg=AFQjCNFJ4f8dyp1OgCLUwjeLWoUKY1-Z6Q

9. Outbound firewall rules

My wish list is that you can also secure your instance's egress traffic by having the capability to have rules for specific target and ports.

If I want to protect my instance to disable internet access, I will configure (egress) to block port 80 on any target. Then I can also filter ports & IP address or IP Block for the egress traffic.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Would be great to have a UI to manage files from local machine to the instances so we can upload files

Would be great to have a UI to manage files from local machine to the instances so we can upload files

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. At this time we don’t install any Google software on the guest that would be well-suited to receiving and storing those files on disk, as many customers would not want that capability (it is a potential security risk that needs to be managed). One mechanism to achieve what you want is to copy files up to Google Cloud Storage, but then you’d have to copy them onto the machine. Another method that customers who want this use would be to install an ftp daemon on the machine (and configure the firewall, etc.)

11. You need a better way to pull in google ip ranges to allow ssh via the browser through the console

It seems I need to open up my servers to everyone to SSH into on port 22 or I can't SSH from the console. The suggestion is to use SPF records but it's not clear to me how you would do that. The help page linked from the error page after attempting to ssh from the console leads to a page specific to email spf records.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the comment, sorry for the delay getting to it.

As far as I understand it, even though it’s a browser based SSH session, the connection is direct to your browser window, not via a Google server, so port 22 would need to be open to your IP address (not ours).

I wasn’t able to find the page you’re referring to about SPF, I agree that doesn’t make a ton of sense, since email is one of the very few things that uses SPF. If you happen to find the link to the page you’re referring to, please post it here as a comment.

Also, if you need help troubleshooting SSH, I would encourage you to hop on the gce-discussion Google Group, where a larger community of users and Google support engineers congregate to discuss/diagnose users’ questions.

12. Add possibility to rename an image

I would like to change an image name.

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Currently we require that a new image be created using the same source data, which we understand is convoluted. We’re considering improving this in the future, as well as copying/moving.

13. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. network usage

Would be helpful to allow me to give you an interval and you tell me how much network bandwidth is consumed during that time interval for a vm. My bill is charged by GB, not B/sec.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. cloning the VM

I need to install 5 - 6 softwares from the standard ubuntu VM and it is difficult for students to configure them. I want a option to clone my vms and allow the students to login, once I installed all required software on one VM and cloned it to 100. Is it possible to give the clone option via UI?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are considering this. One option would be for you to setup the machine the way you want it, shut it down, take a snapshot of the disk, and make an Image from the snapshot. Students can then create their own VMs using that image, with all configuration done. Or if students have their own project, you can share the image with them via IAM’s new beta imageUser role.

17. Permit custom DHCP options (DNS servers, domain-names)

It would be very helpful if I can specify DHCP options in my networks, minimally the DNS servers. In our use case, we have have a VPN that connects back to our internal network and large amount of infrastructure that does not have external DNS entries. (So the GCP router/DNS server can't see it).

It would be much easier if per-network we can just default these entries instead of fixing /etc/resolv.conf post-dhclient

Similarly, domain-name, search order, NTP would also be useful.

218 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi folks,

Thanks for the continued input on this item. We are taking a further look at this request, but it is not currently scheduled for implementation (we work in priority order, taking feedback from customers, here, and other sources).

18. Group billing/usage by user and/or VM

Allow administrator of several VM instances to see VM usage (grouped either by username or specific instance).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. While it’s under consideration, some of this may be possible using our Billing Export functionality.

19. Increase Google Console Security with password confirmation in VM deletion and other critical issues

Increase Google Console Security with password confirmation in VM deletion and other critical issues.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Online change remote desktop port

some time i need to remote to my windows vm but i con access through special port. I think you should have online change port for it (same azure)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Compute Engine

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base