Compute Engine

Welcome to the Google Compute Engine idea forum. You can submit and vote on ideas here to tell the Google Compute Engine team which features you’d like to see.

This forum is for feature suggestions, and is visited regularly by Google’s Product Managers. It is not actively monitored by our technical support team. If you’re looking for help forums, look here:

If you are looking to file a bug report for which you do not need 1:1 technical support, you can also visit our Public Issue Tracker

We can’t wait to hear from you!

1. Firewall rules - central list(s) of addresses

While GCE obviously does have filtering based on source addresses, it doesn’t have the handy “My IP” shortcut which AWS has.

What we’d really like is something which neither AWS nor GCE offers: a central white-list of addresses which can then be used in the rules on any project, such that changing the central list affects the rules in all projects. Multiple central lists would be even nicer.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Billing data

Division of resources into projects in GCE is great. It not only makes for cleaner administration in the console, but provides simple itemisation of costs on a per-project basis. Or, rather, it ought to. GCE has the data but, as ever with billing systems, the developers and product designers apparently got bored when it came to this aspect of the UI.

What we’re having to do at the moment is go to the transaction history; export it as CSV; and then run that through a parser which establishes the project and the type of cost (VCPU, bandwidth etc) for each…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Sharing snapshots and images across projects

I don’t know how Google expect the majority of people to use projects in GCE, but we are mainly interested in them as a better way than is available in AWS of dividing resources up between cost centres. We might occasionally end up giving third-parties access to a specific project (e.g. giving a client access to the servers which we run on their behalf), but our main interest in GCE projects relates to internal administration and cost control.

In this context, it is a nuisance that a snapshot created in one project cannot be used in another project, and that…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Image creation (Windows-specific)

I can’t speak for Linux images – though comment on the web and on this forum suggests that it’s similar – but Windows image creation on GCE is horrible compared to AWS.

In AWS it’s 3 mouse clicks plus typing in a name. In GCE, the instance which is the source of the image has to be permanently destroyed, and there’s a need to manually run the gcesysprep utility. Putting the cherry on the cake, the gcesysprep undoes various system changes which are a common feature of Windows administration. For example, we turn off automatic installation of Windows updates –…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  Paul Nash responded

Thanks for your frank and detailed feedback. I believe we’ve made some improvements since the time of your post, but nonetheless we are evaluating how we can simplify this further.

5. Cloud Shell Preconfigured Image

I'd like to spin up a larger-than-micro instance for a cloud shell (micro appears to be too small to run the HBase shell). Would save me the trouble of installing maven, sdks, etc when I provision the instance.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi, thanks for the idea. Cloud Shell is meant to be a fast and easy way to quickly interact with a VM shell, and the free nature is connected to the fact that it’s a small VM you’re getting. For more elaborate work, you may want to consider configuring an Image in GCE just the way you want it, and then spinning up instances of that Image as necessary. With our 10-minute minimum billing duration for a VM, it would likely still be quite affordable.

6. Could I see my current cost easily?

I just started.
    I can see a graph of my VM instances' utilization.
    Could you add an option for me to see my current total due?
    Cost management is important for me.

Thank you

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  Paul Nash responded

Thanks for the question. We are continually making improvements to our capabilities, including billing insights.

7. Fix SSH keys - what a nightmare!

Fix SSH keys - what a nightmare!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Bug: the 'command line' link in the console results in deprecated scripts.

I tried using a script provided by 'command line' link (for example, I've chosen different options when creating a new VM instance in the console, then used 'command line' link to get a script that will create the instance for me in future uses).
    When I try to use the script I get an error " We noticed that you are using space-separated lists, which are deprecated. Please transition to using comma-separated lists instead".
    Seems like the command line scripts that the console generates are outdated.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Unfortunately this post got overlooked, but we’ll investigate. Thanks for the report.

9. More local SSDs space for larger isntances

Local SSD scratch space is independent of the instance type and each instance can only support a maximum of 4 SSDs each with 375 GB. This is a barrier for running big data workloads which require a high amount of local storage capacity per node. Can you please increase the local SSD scratch space for larger instances (VMs with 8 / 16 / 32 CPUs)?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Columns configuration in VM Instances grid view

I'd like to configure the VM instances grid view in order to get more information about the instances that I have right there in that view without having to open instances detail.
    One of the information that is good to have there is the machine type.

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  Paul Nash responded

Hello all. We have now deployed column configuration options in the UI for the GCE area of our Console. We recognize that there have been several requests for additional columns, and we’re happy to implement those. If you’d like to suggest specific columns, please comment on this feature request and we’ll get to work on them! :)

11. Allow for extended scroll with using Tmux in HTERM

Currently it is not possible to enable tmux to retain excess stdout data and scroll through it. It only retains what is in the current pane.

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=331616

Looks to be possible, though I am not an expert. It would just be really nice to have full featured tmux... That way I can fully develop within a single chrome tab.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. operating system windows 7

operating system windows 7

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are currently studying whether this might be feasible using the Sole Tenant option GCE now offers.

13. More real-time graphical feedback on resource usage

The graphical UI makes life so much easier when it comes to managing resources at-a-glance, but the minimum increment for time is hourly. It'd be nice to be able to see whether something is eating up the CPU over the past 5, 15, and 30 minutes, with refreshes every 5-10 seconds.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, we’ll investigate this, but if you really need that kind of metrics detail, you may be better served by a more dedicated monitoring tool (like Stackdriver?)

14. renaming vm

make it as easy as EC2 :)

1,270 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    68 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  Paul Nash responded

Hi folks, we know there is a ton of interest in this ability, and our engineering team is working on enabling it. We don’t have specific schedule updates right now, but I wanted to post an update acknowledging that we definitely agree this is an important ability and we will launch the functionality just as soon as we can!

15. Virtual Network SPAN Port/Server

It would be really awesome if you could assign a specific box to intercept all traffic going through a network. We run our internal infrastructure on GCE and really want to deploy a IDS system with network monitoring. Right now there is no way to setup an IDS in GCE like snort that captures all network traffic.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Instance mirror

Add possibility to have a mirror of another instance in production at the time that something happens to the instance automatically pass to the other. Among the instances there is a simultaneous data synchronization to meet this need and it's only change the IP if necessary

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, some customers have asked for this. Depending on your software, this may require network features that are not supported in GCP at this time.

17. Expand number of cores according to traffic

Hi
    Start the server with few cores when required we want to increase number of cores

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion, we are evaluating this request for future implementation.

18. Scheduled GCE VM instance startup and shutdown

I'm using GCE for a small R&D project with limited budget. We would like to be able to start/stop instances automatically on a schedule e.g. to run database instances during office hours but shut them down out of hours to save costs. As far as I can tell, there is no instance scheduler in the current GCE toolset.

243 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Customized shortcuts on Dashboard

If I need to open my SSH of any instance I need 3 to 4 hops to reach there. We need to have option to create shortcuts( like right click> place this object on Dash board) for objects which can be placed on Dashboard. This will enable quick access to any instance or particular task

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Be more verbose regarding quotas, and why are they so small?

Our organization (Magine TV) started using GCP for stress testing purposes. We would like to run something like 50 to 100 instances of servers, which would bombard our backend. Because of the quotas, GCP doesn't seem to fit this use case. Your platform should tell clearly what the quotas are, and why they are set as they are, and maybe even point to right direction if it is possible to increase them.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Compute Engine

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base