Compute Engine

Welcome to the Google Compute Engine idea forum. You can submit and vote on ideas here to tell the Google Compute Engine team which features you’d like to see.

This forum is for feature suggestions, and is visited regularly by Google’s Product Managers. It is not actively monitored by our technical support team. If you’re looking for help forums, look here:

If you are looking to file a bug report for which you do not need 1:1 technical support, you can also visit our Public Issue Tracker

We can’t wait to hear from you!

1. Operations page should show scopes (global, regional, or zonal) as a column and/or in details page

Compute Engine > Operations page should have a column that specifies if the operation is Global, Regional, or Zonal. The API has three distinct methods: globalOperations, regionOperations and zoneOperations. The only way to tell which method the API should be calling is to view the operation details and see it in the URL. There isn't even a field in the details page to specify the scope.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add Search Option for selecting compute engine image

Please add 'Search' feature while selecting the image option during creation of Compute Engine.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Reset & Delete buttons should be moved and colored

In [VM Instances] etc...
    The quick access buttons [Reset] & [Delete] should be moved to the far right on the bar and/or coloured red rather than blue.

Reset is also a confusing name, should be Hard Reset or Image Reset...

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Updating php

I am using bitnami version of wordpress and I am looking forward to updating the php version of this which is 7.0.31 to 7.2+ , but there is no option to do this as far as I know. An easy solution to updating php to the latest could be a great feature as is known with shared / other hosting companies.

Otherwise GCP is awesome

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Rename confusing VM Instance "reset" menu option to "hard restart"

I found "reset" option under the "VM instances" list, right click on an instance menu highly confusing. It would be more intuitive to call it "hard restart".

Some (me and my colleague) then saw the option and initially thought about it as a way to reset a host to the state right after the instance creation. Not as "hard restart"

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback. “Naming is hard,” as they say. :/ While we’ll definitely take your feedback under consideration, it is not highly likely that we’ll change this unless we get a ton of feedback on it, because it has been this way a long time, and changing the wording at this point would add even more confusion for our users who used to know it the other way. Also note, the word comes from the model that the button on a real machine is called “reset.” What you’re talking about of “reverting” an instance to its clean state would be a different feature akin to “restoring to a snapshot” or re-creating the disk from the Image, essentially.

6. When I search for dev, the search returns *dev which means the prefix '*' can be anything. I want the exact match results to be displayed.

The search results display all the relevant results but it would be better if the search displays the exact match which is requested?
    If I search for dev, the results show mobdev, reldev, dev01, etc.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. ARM based VMs and Functions

More energy efficient and low cost, ARM based VMs might be fine. Cluoud Functions may be a good use-case. AWS launched and some other small vendors are on the track.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, we’re of course aware of the industry’s ongoing conversation about different processor options and are always considering possible future offerings, but we don’t have anything to announce at this time.

8. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. VM Instances list - Refresh: Does not update the IP address

The External IP field does not get updated automatically or even with Refresh button :

I resumed my laptop with the instances view already visible with the old IP.
    I restarted the engine with the old IP was visible.
    I was not able to login with SSH.
    I was able to login with browser window and the system is up but the IP is still wrong, even clicking the refresh button many times.

Fetching the real IP from the internet let me access the site with SSH.

But clicking left on Instance Groups and then back to VM instances immediately…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Ability to transfer the reserved static ip addresses to another GCP project I own

When transferring k8s cluster to another gcp project due to billing issues, we had to release and reserve the new static ip addresses. But the old ones we had whitelisted on several endpoints, updating which takes quite a while. It would be great if we could just transfer those ip addresses to another gcp project we own.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow us to export Storage more than 2TB to Cloud Storage.

Currently, users can create a disk more than 2TB, however, disk-image exporting size is allowed for less than 2TB. Users needs backup by exporting to Cloud Stoage in many case. Please consider this situation.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Status icon on main GCE window to enable to check whether user's startup-script is successfully run or not.

Currently users have to click serial console of each instance after run the instance(s) which startup-script is configured, for example, jupyter server, flask, etc...

To overcome the lazy action, GCE always check user's startup-script running and show the color status icon on main window of GCE instance list, which explains it outputs error or not.
    RED icon: error occur in user's startup-script
    YELLOW icon: Warning occur in user's startup-script
    BLUE icon: Successfully run!

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Option of changing zone and resubmit-ion on create VM failure due to no resource

When GCP throws "does not have enough resources available to fulfill the request. Try a different zone, or try again later." it does not let me the option of going back to same form inputs and just change the zone. I have to fill all the inputs again and retry.

In my scenario I have repeated the create VM flow with 3-4 zones and and always getting the same resource not enough error. Would be ideal if I get an option of just changing the zone with all previously selected values. That would give user much better experience.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add an ability to change Zone of existing VM Instance when default one unable to connect

I'm trying to connect US-EAST1-b for Existing VM instance but unable to connect, Trying to change to different Zone through VPC network settings but unable to do so. Hence posting above idea.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Plz add more information in activity about metadata change

Plz add more information in activity log about metadata changement

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. I would like to change or install a new os on my vm i.e. earlier ubuntu 14.04 to 18.04 without having to delete the VM instance & create new

I would like to change or install a new os on my vm i.e. earlier ubuntu 14.04 to 18.04 without having to delete the VM instance & create new. Or this option can be in reset with same operating system or a new operating system.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Create multiple vms at once.

I would like to create multiple instances with the same template.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

You can do this with Instance Templates and Managed Instance Groups by creating an Instance Template and then creating a “MIG” that uses the Template, and setting it’s target size to the number of VMs you’d like.

If this doesn’t accomplish what you need, please post back comments or edit your request to provide more details on your scenario and what you’d like to see, and we’ll be happy to consider your feedback.

18. Add Citrix XenServer to the nested virtualization hypervisors options.

I already use google cloud, but use Citrix XenServer on premise. Running the Unitrends Citrix backup VM on google cloud would allow us to replicate our data to google storage and make GCE usable as a Distaster Recovery location. Otherwise, i will have to move to a cloud provider that supports XenServer in the cloud.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. GCE web console: please add a description box to the new/edit instance form

The images form has a description box which is very useful for keeping notes about the image. It would be very helpful to have the same on instances.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. allow instance templates to be based on image family instead of actual image

In the instance template config from the Console there should be an option to set the image to a family instead of an actual image. This is possible with the API though.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Compute Engine

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base