Compute Engine

Welcome to the Google Compute Engine idea forum. You can submit and vote on ideas here to tell the Google Compute Engine team which features you’d like to see.

This forum is for feature suggestions, and is visited regularly by Google’s Product Managers. It is not actively monitored by our technical support team. If you’re looking for help forums, look here:

If you are looking to file a bug report for which you do not need 1:1 technical support, you can also visit our Public Issue Tracker

We can’t wait to hear from you!

1. Ability to transfer the reserved static ip addresses to another GCP project I own

When transferring k8s cluster to another gcp project due to billing issues, we had to release and reserve the new static ip addresses. But the old ones we had whitelisted on several endpoints, updating which takes quite a while. It would be great if we could just transfer those ip addresses to another gcp project we own.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow us to export Storage more than 2TB to Cloud Storage.

Currently, users can create a disk more than 2TB, however, disk-image exporting size is allowed for less than 2TB. Users needs backup by exporting to Cloud Stoage in many case. Please consider this situation.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Status icon on main GCE window to enable to check whether user's startup-script is successfully run or not.

Currently users have to click serial console of each instance after run the instance(s) which startup-script is configured, for example, jupyter server, flask, etc...

To overcome the lazy action, GCE always check user's startup-script running and show the color status icon on main window of GCE instance list, which explains it outputs error or not.
    RED icon: error occur in user's startup-script
    YELLOW icon: Warning occur in user's startup-script
    BLUE icon: Successfully run!

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Option of changing zone and resubmit-ion on create VM failure due to no resource

When GCP throws "does not have enough resources available to fulfill the request. Try a different zone, or try again later." it does not let me the option of going back to same form inputs and just change the zone. I have to fill all the inputs again and retry.

In my scenario I have repeated the create VM flow with 3-4 zones and and always getting the same resource not enough error. Would be ideal if I get an option of just changing the zone with all previously selected values. That would give user much better experience.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Add an ability to change Zone of existing VM Instance when default one unable to connect

I'm trying to connect US-EAST1-b for Existing VM instance but unable to connect, Trying to change to different Zone through VPC network settings but unable to do so. Hence posting above idea.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Plz add more information in activity about metadata change

Plz add more information in activity log about metadata changement

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. I would like to change or install a new os on my vm i.e. earlier ubuntu 14.04 to 18.04 without having to delete the VM instance & create new

I would like to change or install a new os on my vm i.e. earlier ubuntu 14.04 to 18.04 without having to delete the VM instance & create new. Or this option can be in reset with same operating system or a new operating system.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Create multiple vms at once.

I would like to create multiple instances with the same template.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

You can do this with Instance Templates and Managed Instance Groups by creating an Instance Template and then creating a “MIG” that uses the Template, and setting it’s target size to the number of VMs you’d like.

If this doesn’t accomplish what you need, please post back comments or edit your request to provide more details on your scenario and what you’d like to see, and we’ll be happy to consider your feedback.

9. Add Citrix XenServer to the nested virtualization hypervisors options.

I already use google cloud, but use Citrix XenServer on premise. Running the Unitrends Citrix backup VM on google cloud would allow us to replicate our data to google storage and make GCE usable as a Distaster Recovery location. Otherwise, i will have to move to a cloud provider that supports XenServer in the cloud.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. GCE web console: please add a description box to the new/edit instance form

The images form has a description box which is very useful for keeping notes about the image. It would be very helpful to have the same on instances.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. allow instance templates to be based on image family instead of actual image

In the instance template config from the Console there should be an option to set the image to a family instead of an actual image. This is possible with the API though.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Show imports in code snippets

Code snippets are much harder to actually leverage when the critical piece--the import headers--are omitted.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Record firewall rule creation date, then show and allow sorting by it on the firewall rules page.

Firewall rules can pile up and make it hard to later figure out which ones should be deleted, etc. It would be useful to show the created date (and last-updated date if possible) as columns in

https://console.cloud.google.com/networking/firewalls/list

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. "create-or-update" operation for firewall rules and other resources.

Similar to the way databases have "upsert" in addition to "insert" and "update", it'd be nice if commands like

gcloud compute firewall-rules create my-rule ...

(and anything else that supports both create and update) could be written as

gcloud compute firewall-rules create-or-update my-rule ...

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. completely reset

Hi.

Good service, but i dont see completely reset instance button to default settings, because i see previous installed version of PHP etc...

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry, but it’s difficult to understand the scenario you’re describing. Please provide more detail (edit your suggestion or add comments) about how you created your instance, what settings you’re looking to reset, etc. so we can consider your feedback. Thanks!

16. GPU availability in Frankfurt region

We want to do online inferencing on GPU in Frankfurt region, but GPUs are not available there.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. We need to allow users to create Firewalls from a VM.

You have to leave the page you are on, copy IP addresses, and create a Firewall entry. We have it the backwards way...but I am usually trying to figure out why packets aren't getting to my box. Also, would be nice to provide some information to the customer that would help them debug why connectivity is not happening?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Don't require --zone for gcloud compute instances commands

It would be nice not to have to specify the zone of an instance when using the gcloud command.

More details:
    If a default zone and region are configured, then gcloud will operate on resources if they are in the same zone. Resources in other zones will result in an error. This includes "stop", "start", "reset", "describe".
    If a default zone and region are not configured, it prompts for confirmation about the zone, which requires interaction with the script. The --quiet flag isn't really effective, because a reply to the question is necessary.

Example:
    $ gcloud compute ssh instance-2
    Did…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Instance name on 'Monitoring' tab.

Hi! It will be great to see instance name on GCE VM instance details -> Monitoring tab.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Please allow the possibility to open ssh as browser tab, not as separate window

i have to switch the browser option to put console in existing browser instance

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Compute Engine

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base