Compute Engine

Welcome to the Google Compute Engine idea forum. You can submit and vote on ideas here to tell the Google Compute Engine team which features you’d like to see.

This forum is for feature suggestions, and is visited regularly by Google’s Product Managers. It is not actively monitored by our technical support team. If you’re looking for help forums, look here:

If you are looking to file a bug report for which you do not need 1:1 technical support, you can also visit our Public Issue Tracker

We can’t wait to hear from you!

1. How can i install pip

i cant install pip ....

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. I have applied for nvidia tesla k80 GPU but i can't see the option to monitor it

I really appreciate when you came up with the feature of Nvidia tesla K80 GPU but in addition you can add feature for GPU monitoring.I can't see the feature of monitoring activities of GPU neither in windows server 2016 nor in google console.Please enable the gpu in case if you have disabled in windows 2016 server us-east -1c.Thank you

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Boot Images with Nvidia Drivers pre installed.

Please provide an Image with Nvidia drivers installed. I just spend 2 hours to figure out the installation. The Gcloud tutorial didn't work and lead to an error, which lead me to reinstall all the drivers, which didn't work either, so i have to delete the instance and start a new one. The same problem occurred but some how i managed to solve it. It will be so much easier if there is an image with the drivers and CUDA installed.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Insert copy button for every instance public IP address

Very simple feature, add a button or link next to Public IP address in order to copy it! It will save a lot of time.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. % usage of GPU in the instances of virtual machines

Please add some graphic for monitoring the % usage of GPU of virtual machine. This feature could be very usefull and really good when you use a virtual machine with a powerfull GPU like P100 or V100

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Single view to inspect all the billed or being-billed cloud resources

I would like to monitor our cloud costs, it would be great if there could be a single view which can allow me to inspect all the billed or being-billed resources.

This could get it's own view under billing

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Logs/diagnostics for HTTP Health checks

There seems currently no way to know whether an HTTP health check is correctly configured, whether the health check requests are being issued, or if they are and the responses are failing, or what the error responses are.

For example, in my case, I forgot to add the firewall rule that is needed to allow health check requests to reach the VM. And trying to debug the app, or http health check config is futile. You have to recognize requests aren't coming through, then read the docs carefully to know about the firewall rules.

Instead I'd expect a more useful…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your request. We currently do not offer a cloud region that is physically in Chicago. Our general philosophy on data centers is to choose locations that serve large populations well, but which are also located in places that lead to affordable pricing. As a result, one of our regions in the Midwest that many customers in Chicago leverage is us-central1, which is based in Iowa. Whether or not this works for you will depend on your network connectivity needs, of course.

10. Croned power off of hole proyect

It would be nice to have the option to power off all the instances in a project.
    Some days ( Saturday and Sunday) it's not necessary to have running some projects so it would be great to have a button or a crone to power off the proyect until is needed again.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Progress tracking feature in documentation

The documentation section is pretty useful, but vast. It would be good to have progress tracking feature in the Documentation section, so users could track and have a record of the sections covered and the ones they need to cover.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Processor usage chart on micro and small instances.

Processor usage chart on micro and small instances is unclear. It should be clear if 100% on the graph indicates the available power for the shared instance or the entire processor.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Provide autoscaling but with support for public IP address for each new VM that is pre-configured and newly spawned.

Sometimes there are institutions that need a public IP on the VMs to be whitelisted before they allow access to their websites/services.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi, could you provide an example or more detailed description of the scenario you’re describing? It sounds like your best approach might be to allocate static IPs, so that you know in advance of creating the VM what the IP is going to be (and can keep it as long as you want). Then assign those IPs to the appropriate VMs once you have configured the remote networks. Does this address your concern?

14. A proper way to autoscale MIGs using memory usage

The autoscaler for a Managed Instance group does not allow for a memory usage based autoscaling policy from Stackdriver metrics which actually meets real world needs. I have raised in the Google Groups community, so just linking to that instead of retyping - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/gce-discussion/y8vWBaJFflA

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Method regionBackendServices.getHealth does not work as documented

Calling regionBackendServices.getHealth method documented here:

https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/reference/rest/v1/regionBackendServices/getHealth

Returns the following error:

Invalid value for field 'resource': ''. Specified instance group is not listed in the backend service.

The documentation does not mention a field named "resource" and there appears to be no way to pass a value for this field. Values passed in the body as resourceGroup appear to be ignored.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, I’ve asked a responsible team member to take a look. Note, this forum is only for feature requests, so for better responsiveness in the future when reporting bugs/issues please visit the gce-discussion Google Group, or file an issue report on our Public Issue Tracker.

16. Make possible to hibernate a VM

It would be nice to hibernate (save status and RAM) of a running instance and store it as snapshot.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. The Free Tier description might not be very clear

I would suggest to use the same naming in the Free Tier guide with respect to console naming.
    For example
    "1 f1-micro instance per month (US regions only - Excluding Northern Virginia)" is not clear if is northamerica-northeast or us-east.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Can the region list show the cities name when creating GCE instance?

Can the region list show the cities name when creating GCE instance?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. gcloud beta compute instances create-with-container multiple network interfaces support

gcloud beta compute instances create-with-container command should support creation of multiple network interfaces same as plain create command.
    currently it ignores the definition of other --network-interface beyond the first one.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi, we believe this is a bug in gcloud. Similar functionality is possible through the Console UI (website). Our team is aware of the issue, however you may find it more helpful to file a bug in our Public Issue Tracker. To avoid a goose chase, I’m leaving this entry open here for now, but please be aware that UV is mostly for Feature Requests and staffed lightly, unlike the Issue Tracker which is staffed by our support team (and integrated into our internal bug tracking). If you’d like to file an Issue, the GCE tracker 1 please go ahead, and 2 has more information on how to use our Issue Trackers in general. Thx!

1 https://issuetracker.google.com/savedsearches/559755
    2 https://cloud.google.com/support/docs/issue-trackers

20. Can't find options to set up GPU.

I came here to try out Compute Engine with GPUs. Blog Posts told me that this is possible. I thought I upgraded to a paid account and added my credit card. However I can't find the GPUs listed under "quota".

I suspect that your philosophy is that serious users will be able to navigate this byzantine system, but it is frustrating not to be able to get started; in fact that prevents me from BECOMING a serious user.

Hmm, how can you tell if your account is “upgraded” so that you should be able to see the “Google Compute Engine”…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry to hear about your experience, we’ll look into making the experience easier to use. In the meantime however, please visit the gce-discussion Google Group if you need some tips in the right direction to get started.

• Don't see your idea?

Compute Engine

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base