Compute Engine

Welcome to the Google Compute Engine idea forum. You can submit and vote on ideas here to tell the Google Compute Engine team which features you’d like to see.

This forum is for feature suggestions, and is visited regularly by Google’s Product Managers. It is not actively monitored by our technical support team. If you’re looking for help forums, look here:

If you are looking to file a bug report for which you do not need 1:1 technical support, you can also visit our Public Issue Tracker

We can’t wait to hear from you!

1. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Paul Nash responded

Sorry, but I don’t understand what you’re requesting… could you please elaborate this request?

2. Rename confusing VM Instance "reset" menu option to "hard restart"

I found "reset" option under the "VM instances" list, right click on an instance menu highly confusing. It would be more intuitive to call it "hard restart".

Some (me and my colleague) then saw the option and initially thought about it as a way to reset a host to the state right after the instance creation. Not as "hard restart"

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback. “Naming is hard,” as they say. :/ While we’ll definitely take your feedback under consideration, it is not highly likely that we’ll change this unless we get a ton of feedback on it, because it has been this way a long time, and changing the wording at this point would add even more confusion for our users who used to know it the other way. Also note, the word comes from the model that the button on a real machine is called “reset.” What you’re talking about of “reverting” an instance to its clean state would be a different feature akin to “restoring to a snapshot” or re-creating the disk from the Image, essentially.

3. ARM based VMs and Functions

More energy efficient and low cost, ARM based VMs might be fine. Cluoud Functions may be a good use-case. AWS launched and some other small vendors are on the track.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, we’re of course aware of the industry’s ongoing conversation about different processor options and are always considering possible future offerings, but we don’t have anything to announce at this time.

4. VM Instances list - Refresh: Does not update the IP address

The External IP field does not get updated automatically or even with Refresh button :

I resumed my laptop with the instances view already visible with the old IP.
    I restarted the engine with the old IP was visible.
    I was not able to login with SSH.
    I was able to login with browser window and the system is up but the IP is still wrong, even clicking the refresh button many times.

Fetching the real IP from the internet let me access the site with SSH.

But clicking left on Instance Groups and then back to VM instances immediately…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Ability to transfer the reserved static ip addresses to another GCP project I own

When transferring k8s cluster to another gcp project due to billing issues, we had to release and reserve the new static ip addresses. But the old ones we had whitelisted on several endpoints, updating which takes quite a while. It would be great if we could just transfer those ip addresses to another gcp project we own.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks, we’ve shared this suggestion with the feature team so they may consider it for their backlog.

6. Create multiple vms at once.

I would like to create multiple instances with the same template.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

You can do this with Instance Templates and Managed Instance Groups by creating an Instance Template and then creating a “MIG” that uses the Template, and setting it’s target size to the number of VMs you’d like.

If this doesn’t accomplish what you need, please post back comments or edit your request to provide more details on your scenario and what you’d like to see, and we’ll be happy to consider your feedback.

7. allow instance templates to be based on image family instead of actual image

In the instance template config from the Console there should be an option to set the image to a family instead of an actual image. This is possible with the API though.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Show imports in code snippets

Code snippets are much harder to actually leverage when the critical piece--the import headers--are omitted.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. completely reset

Hi.

Good service, but i dont see completely reset instance button to default settings, because i see previous installed version of PHP etc...

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry, but it’s difficult to understand the scenario you’re describing. Please provide more detail (edit your suggestion or add comments) about how you created your instance, what settings you’re looking to reset, etc. so we can consider your feedback. Thanks!

10. GPU availability in Frankfurt region

We want to do online inferencing on GPU in Frankfurt region, but GPUs are not available there.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, we’re always launching more products in more regions, and will consider your request.

11. Please let us add more storage...

Even after the 65536 Limit

I can’t seem to add other drives EVEN after quota increase

Also I usually get lot of errors making big VMs due to availability

Please please improve

I want at least 100Tb storage as external!

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks, as you mention 64TB is the current limit for total attached storage capacity, regardless of how many disks you use. We’re always considering improvements and will update this item if we and an increase to our plans.

12. I have applied for nvidia tesla k80 GPU but i can't see the option to monitor it

I really appreciate when you came up with the feature of Nvidia tesla K80 GPU but in addition you can add feature for GPU monitoring.I can't see the feature of monitoring activities of GPU neither in windows server 2016 nor in google console.Please enable the gpu in case if you have disabled in windows 2016 server us-east -1c.Thank you

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Insert copy button for every instance public IP address

Very simple feature, add a button or link next to Public IP address in order to copy it! It will save a lot of time.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, I’ll pass this suggestion to our UI team for consideration.

14. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your request. We currently do not offer a cloud region that is physically in Chicago. Our general philosophy on data centers is to choose locations that serve large populations well, but which are also located in places that lead to affordable pricing. As a result, one of our regions in the Midwest that many customers in Chicago leverage is us-central1, which is based in Iowa. Whether or not this works for you will depend on your network connectivity needs, of course.

15. Processor usage chart on micro and small instances.

Processor usage chart on micro and small instances is unclear. It should be clear if 100% on the graph indicates the available power for the shared instance or the entire processor.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Provide autoscaling but with support for public IP address for each new VM that is pre-configured and newly spawned.

Sometimes there are institutions that need a public IP on the VMs to be whitelisted before they allow access to their websites/services.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi, could you provide an example or more detailed description of the scenario you’re describing? It sounds like your best approach might be to allocate static IPs, so that you know in advance of creating the VM what the IP is going to be (and can keep it as long as you want). Then assign those IPs to the appropriate VMs once you have configured the remote networks. Does this address your concern?

17. A proper way to autoscale MIGs using memory usage

The autoscaler for a Managed Instance group does not allow for a memory usage based autoscaling policy from Stackdriver metrics which actually meets real world needs. I have raised in the Google Groups community, so just linking to that instead of retyping - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/gce-discussion/y8vWBaJFflA

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Method regionBackendServices.getHealth does not work as documented

Calling regionBackendServices.getHealth method documented here:

https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/reference/rest/v1/regionBackendServices/getHealth

Returns the following error:

Invalid value for field 'resource': ''. Specified instance group is not listed in the backend service.

The documentation does not mention a field named "resource" and there appears to be no way to pass a value for this field. Values passed in the body as resourceGroup appear to be ignored.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, I’ve asked a responsible team member to take a look. Note, this forum is only for feature requests, so for better responsiveness in the future when reporting bugs/issues please visit the gce-discussion Google Group, or file an issue report on our Public Issue Tracker.

19. Make possible to hibernate a VM

It would be nice to hibernate (save status and RAM) of a running instance and store it as snapshot.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. The Free Tier description might not be very clear

I would suggest to use the same naming in the Free Tier guide with respect to console naming.
    For example
    "1 f1-micro instance per month (US regions only - Excluding Northern Virginia)" is not clear if is northamerica-northeast or us-east.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14
  • Don't see your idea?

Compute Engine

Categories