Compute Engine

Welcome to the Google Compute Engine idea forum. You can submit and vote on ideas here to tell the Google Compute Engine team which features you’d like to see.

This forum is for feature suggestions, and is visited regularly by Google’s Product Managers. It is not actively monitored by our technical support team. If you’re looking for help forums, look here:

If you are looking to file a bug report for which you do not need 1:1 technical support, you can also visit our Public Issue Tracker

We can’t wait to hear from you!

1. Support MoSH connections from the browser

Currently Google Cloud supports using SSH to connect to instances from within the browser, which is honestly one of the best features about Google Cloud.

However, I often work over a mobile connection, which sees frequent interruptions in connectivity. SSH is traditionally very poor at this because it uses TCP for the connection.

MoSH (the mobile shell; https://mosh.mit.edu/) is an alternative to SSH that uses UDP with encrypted packets underneath to support more robust connectivity. It would be great if Google Cloud supported this on their VM instances and in the Cloud Console by default.

The way that MoSH…

69 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Revisiting Windows (more licensing and version options)

There's several requests already here about Windows, but it's time to revisit the idea.

The best basic plan for Windows is n1-standard-2. The price for Windows is $58.40/month on that. This is not right, because Vultr offers Windows at $16.00/month, and it does not increase as your hardware becomes more powerful. Additionally, BuyKVM, a smaller provider, offers Windows Server for free!

I can't afford to deploy a simple Windows VPS at these prices, especially when competitors beat Google badly with Windows pricing.

Finally, please just consider letting us upload our own Windows ISOs. Some of us have our own SA…

67 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi, unfortunately you are comparing apples and oranges. Windows licensing is a complex topic, controlled by the licensing rules Microsoft enforces. These rules are different for multi-tenant public cloud providers offering IaaS services than a vendor selling single tenant, dedicated hardware. That is a different business model, and different cost structure, and has very different rules from Microsoft.

At a high level, we have a strong partner relationship with Microsoft, and have made many suggestions on how they could improve the flexibility for customers to run Windows workloads in hyperscale clouds. We hope they’ll implement some of these soon, so we can offer the kinds of options you are looking for.

3. Firewall should (optionally) allow IP protocol 41

Adding firewall support for IP protocol 41 (IPv6 encapsulation in IPv4) would allow "sort-of-IPv6" communication without as much work as full IPv6 support.

Issue #8 (IPv6 support) is probably much harder; I suggest protocol-41 support could be a good halfway house.

If native IPv6 support can be added, this would not be needed. (Although other people might want per-protocol control in the firewall for other reasons e.g. SCTP?)

I think it would be perfectly reasonable to have a simple yes/no rule for non-TCP/UDP protocols; I presume anyone turning them on would be able to apply any needed fine-grained control at…

60 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. operating system windows 7

operating system windows 7

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add Stackdriver agent in COS (Container-Optimized OS)

The Stackdriver agent is currently not supported by COS. I should be available to be able to use "gcplogs" as Docker logging driver.

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Columns configuration in VM Instances grid view

I'd like to configure the VM instances grid view in order to get more information about the instances that I have right there in that view without having to open instances detail.
    One of the information that is good to have there is the machine type.

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello all. We have now deployed column configuration options in the UI for the GCE area of our Console. We recognize that there have been several requests for additional columns, and we’re happy to implement those. If you’d like to suggest specific columns, please comment on this feature request and we’ll get to work on them! :)

8. Disable firewall rules

Now we can only delete firewall rules. It would be great if we could disable/enable firewall rules as well.

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add possibility to rename an image

I would like to change an image name.

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Currently we require that a new image be created using the same source data, which we understand is convoluted. We’re considering improving this in the future, as well as copying/moving.

10. 42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Instance-templates - define additional disk to be created and attached on instance create

Instance-templates - define additional disk to be created and attached on instance create

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update: the UI for this feature is currently under development, and should be released in the near future. Our deployment process makes an exact prediction difficult, but I wanted to provide an update on this since it has been a while.

12. Move files from GCE to Drive and back.

I wish there was a way to easily move files from my compute instance to my Google Drive account. That way I could more easily transfer files between my compute instances rather than having to zip/host/download/upload/unhost/delete.

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, we’ll consider this. Drive is more of a consumer oriented product, but there are cases where we see users wanting to do this.

The common way to share files between machines would be GCS, have you investigated that? There are a number of solutions like gcsfuse that let you treat a bucket like a network drive, too. This should eliminate most of the steps, just upload to bucket, download from bucket.

13. it would be nice if you could see the instance pricing all the time and not only when you create it.

When you create a compute engine instance, you can effectively see the calculated price that you will pay for a month of service, however once you already have an instance running and you add a new hard drive for example, you can no longer see how much will it cost to run for a month. also it should be clear if you pay for the space even if you don't use it, if when you create a new partition it means all space is used.

regards

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. a link to tar up and download a snapshot

I just want to directly download an image without have to first save it to Google Cloud Storage.

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. New zone in Russia

Russia should have a zone

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. stop/start an instance group to save money

Our company needs an auto-scaled instance group for testing purpose, but would like to be able to "pause" it (= stop all instances) while we are not using it.

Actually we loose money if we keep it running, or need to delete the group everytime we want to "pause" it.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Centralized patch/update management across instances

It would be great if we had the ability to centralize view and manage the software update status of all of our Linux instances (maybe Windows as well). It would remove the need to have to rely on third-party tools for multiple instance patch management.

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. The ability to automatically stop instances when a budget is reached.

A user should have the ability so set a hard budget for their cloud spending.

This would allow users when setting up a budget to select an option that if that budget is exceeded that all the corrisponding instances would be stopped until the budget is expanded or a new billing period beings. Note this would be an opt in capability so that users won't have their instances stopped unless they choose that functionality.

This type of functionality would allow users to prevent run away configurations from doing financial harm to their companies allowing customers who are currently unwilling to…

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Support HTTP(S) Internal Load Balancers

Currently internal load balancing only works with TCP/UDP. HTTP Internal Load Balancing would simplify our QA env setup.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Support Split DNS

It will be nice if instance inside project can resolve DNS names to internal IPs. EC2 implementation:
    nslookup ec2-54-100-100-30.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com 8.8.8.8
    nslookup ec2-54-100-100-30.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Compute Engine