Compute Engine

Welcome to the Google Compute Engine idea forum. You can submit and vote on ideas here to tell the Google Compute Engine team which features you’d like to see.

This forum is for feature suggestions, and is visited regularly by Google’s Product Managers. It is not actively monitored by our technical support team. If you’re looking for help forums, look here:

If you are looking to file a bug report for which you do not need 1:1 technical support, you can also visit our Public Issue Tracker

We can’t wait to hear from you!

1. stop/start an instance group to save money

Our company needs an auto-scaled instance group for testing purpose, but would like to be able to "pause" it (= stop all instances) while we are not using it.

Actually we loose money if we keep it running, or need to delete the group everytime we want to "pause" it.

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Paul Nash responded

Have you tried editing the instance group to set its size to zero? I believe this will cause the instance group to spin down all the VMs which is what you want to happen.

2. it would be nice if you could see the instance pricing all the time and not only when you create it.

When you create a compute engine instance, you can effectively see the calculated price that you will pay for a month of service, however once you already have an instance running and you add a new hard drive for example, you can no longer see how much will it cost to run for a month. also it should be clear if you pay for the space even if you don't use it, if when you create a new partition it means all space is used.

regards

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a nice idea – thanks, we’ll consider extending the calculator into more places.

3. Disable firewall rules

Now we can only delete firewall rules. It would be great if we could disable/enable firewall rules as well.

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks, this is a good idea. Our team is looking at making this enhancement.

4. Add possibility to rename an image

I would like to change an image name.

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Currently we require that a new image be created using the same source data, which we understand is convoluted. We’re considering improving this in the future, as well as copying/moving.

5. a link to tar up and download a snapshot

I just want to directly download an image without have to first save it to Google Cloud Storage.

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Have a way to select the cheapest region with one click

For much of what I do, the region is not important for latency or data protection, but the cost is. I should be able to select an instance type, then the cheapest place to run that type with one click, rather than having to try them all and see which costs less.

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback, we’ll take it under consideration. In the meantime, generally the three US “1” regions (us-west1, us-central1, us-east1) typically have the lowest prices. Other regions will vary depending on the cost of providing services in those regions.

7. Ability to permanently delete projects

As of now projects deleted from console go to shutdown state and stay there for a while. Also there is a limit of 5 projects per user. It would be nice to be able to permanently delete a project by the user instead of waiting.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks, we’re looking at how we can improve this. As customers develop a history of usage and payments over time, limits like project count and other quotas can be raised.

8. The ability to automatically stop instances when a budget is reached.

A user should have the ability so set a hard budget for their cloud spending.

This would allow users when setting up a budget to select an option that if that budget is exceeded that all the corrisponding instances would be stopped until the budget is expanded or a new billing period beings. Note this would be an opt in capability so that users won't have their instances stopped unless they choose that functionality.

This type of functionality would allow users to prevent run away configurations from doing financial harm to their companies allowing customers who are currently unwilling to…

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Set scheduled autoscaling for instance groups bases on time for scale up and down?

Should be a possibility to autoscale based on scheduled time in conjunction with other metrics. This is because, for example, I'm expecting several events during the month on specific days during specific range hours.

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have generally not found scheduled autoscaling to be necessary in Google Cloud, unlike some other clouds. The technology behind our Load Balancers is the same as Google uses on all its sites, and we don’t need to do these types of tricks.

We do get this request from time to time, but most customers find it is not needed, and several large web hosters have scrapped their own custom scheduling and pre-spinning approaches when migrating to GCP. Our instance provisioning and boot times are low enough that they work well for many use cases, and App Engine in particular is well suited to very fast and high scaling.

The one thing we can’t affect would be if your particular application server requires a long time to configure itself at instance startup time. The best way to deal with that, at present, would be to try not to do…

10. Support HTTP(S) Internal Load Balancers

Currently internal load balancing only works with TCP/UDP. HTTP Internal Load Balancing would simplify our QA env setup.

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, our networking team has this on their roadmap. This item will be updated as it nears planning and implementation/release.

11. Increase IP address allocation limit

On AWS I can assign 12 external IPs to a t2.large. I would like to exceed that limit with GCP. Even If I paid per IP I wouldn't care.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks, we’re considering ways this might be increased. Currently you can only assign one external IP per network device, although we have recently added the ability to use multiple network devices. 12 would be a lot though just to get multiple IPs. Please stay tuned for further developments.

12. Support Split DNS

It will be nice if instance inside project can resolve DNS names to internal IPs. EC2 implementation:
    nslookup ec2-54-100-100-30.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com 8.8.8.8
    nslookup ec2-54-100-100-30.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow instances with high disk bandwidth

Data processing workloads usually bounded on disk IO.
    Currently google provides expensive internal SDD disks that are bounded by size (3TB) or external disks that are bounded by 240MB/s limit per instance.

AWS on the other hand allows internal hdd disks 48TB with 6GB/s performance (d2.8xlarge) or cheap persistent hdd disk that allow 1250MB/s bandwidth per instance. In any way, EC2 has much bigger offering for data processing workloads.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback, we’ll consider an HDD-based instance storage in future product planning.

Please refer to the comments on this entry for more details about how our Local SSD product works and what it costs. I believe you’ll find it superior to the similar offering from AWS (i2), but we don’t currently have an exact equivalent that is HDD-based (d2).

14. Increase Google Console Security with password confirmation in VM deletion and other critical issues

Increase Google Console Security with password confirmation in VM deletion and other critical issues.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Auto stop Compute Engine after x time idle

When you're running experiments & you don't know when it will stop : enable an auto stop after it's finished

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Prevent deleting an image if it is used by an instance template

If you do delete an image and it is used by a template that is used by an instance group it will prevent it from auto-healing and from scaling out

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Paginate Disk Snapshots in other GCE UIs

Hello,

Snapshots when viewed outside of the snapshot page are not paginated. For instance, in one project of mine with automated hourly snapshots (that are garbage collected on a schedule) the Snapshots page is roughly 200 pages. This is fine and expected.

The problem is when I go to make a GCE server and click Disks> "Snapshots" the entire 200 pages attempt to load into the forum so that a snapshot can be selected.

I'm on an i7, OSX 16GB ram and this causes my Chrome tab to completely freeze. If I wait about 5 minutes I'm sort of able…

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks, Mike. This is a great suggestion, and someone from my team is looking into it. We’ll update the status here when we have more information available.

18. Please let us add more storage...

Even after the 65536 Limit

I can’t seem to add other drives EVEN after quota increase

Also I usually get lot of errors making big VMs due to availability

Please please improve

I want at least 100Tb storage as external!

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, as you mention 64TB is the current limit for total attached storage capacity, regardless of how many disks you use. We’re always considering improvements and will update this item if we and an increase to our plans.

19. Committed Use Discounts for shared CPU instance

It seems that Committed Use Discounts is only available for at least 1vCPU. But I also want to have Committed Use Discounts for shared CPU instance like g1-small or f1-micro.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion, this is definitely something we will consider adding in the future!

20. Specify swap space size in "Create an instance"

Currently, after a new VM instance is created, the swap space size is 0 and, if desired, we have to add swap space post-creation. It would be nice to be able to enter a desired swap space size in the instance creation form and it would be ready and active when the instance becomes available. Note: I'm mostly using CentOS images.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! Swap space is not a very common use case, so far as we know, and it might not rise to the level of something that makes sense to burden the API with for all time, but we’ll take a look.

• Don't see your idea?

Compute Engine

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base