Compute Engine

Welcome to the Google Compute Engine idea forum. You can submit and vote on ideas here to tell the Google Compute Engine team which features you’d like to see.

This forum is for feature suggestions, and is visited regularly by Google’s Product Managers. It is not actively monitored by our technical support team. If you’re looking for help forums, look here:

If you are looking to file a bug report for which you do not need 1:1 technical support, you can also visit our Public Issue Tracker

We can’t wait to hear from you!

1. Allow instances with high disk bandwidth

Data processing workloads usually bounded on disk IO.
    Currently google provides expensive internal SDD disks that are bounded by size (3TB) or external disks that are bounded by 240MB/s limit per instance.

AWS on the other hand allows internal hdd disks 48TB with 6GB/s performance (d2.8xlarge) or cheap persistent hdd disk that allow 1250MB/s bandwidth per instance. In any way, EC2 has much bigger offering for data processing workloads.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback, we’ll consider an HDD-based instance storage in future product planning.

Please refer to the comments on this entry for more details about how our Local SSD product works and what it costs. I believe you’ll find it superior to the similar offering from AWS (i2), but we don’t currently have an exact equivalent that is HDD-based (d2).

2. Have a way to select the cheapest region with one click

For much of what I do, the region is not important for latency or data protection, but the cost is. I should be able to select an instance type, then the cheapest place to run that type with one click, rather than having to try them all and see which costs less.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback, we’ll take it under consideration. In the meantime, generally the three US “1” regions (us-west1, us-central1, us-east1) typically have the lowest prices. Other regions will vary depending on the cost of providing services in those regions.

3. Auto stop Compute Engine after x time idle

When you're running experiments & you don't know when it will stop : enable an auto stop after it's finished

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow settings labels in instance template

Currently labels can be set on instances, but not on instance templates via gcloud beta commands. In order to use labels in BigQuery billing export this would be tremendously useful.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback, this is definitely planned to be available. I don’t have an exact timeframe currently, but we wouldn’t GA the feature without this. Note, it’s possible to add labels to a template through the API itself through instanceTemplates.insert(), but of course that’s not very easy to use if you’re working with gcloud.

5. Prevent deleting an image if it is used by an instance template

If you do delete an image and it is used by a template that is used by an instance group it will prevent it from auto-healing and from scaling out

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Increase Google Console Security with password confirmation in VM deletion and other critical issues

Increase Google Console Security with password confirmation in VM deletion and other critical issues.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Paginate Disk Snapshots in other GCE UIs

Hello,

Snapshots when viewed outside of the snapshot page are not paginated. For instance, in one project of mine with automated hourly snapshots (that are garbage collected on a schedule) the Snapshots page is roughly 200 pages. This is fine and expected.

The problem is when I go to make a GCE server and click Disks> "Snapshots" the entire 200 pages attempt to load into the forum so that a snapshot can be selected.

I'm on an i7, OSX 16GB ram and this causes my Chrome tab to completely freeze. If I wait about 5 minutes I'm sort of able…

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Please let us add more storage...

Even after the 65536 Limit

I can’t seem to add other drives EVEN after quota increase

Also I usually get lot of errors making big VMs due to availability

Please please improve

I want at least 100Tb storage as external!

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, as you mention 64TB is the current limit for total attached storage capacity, regardless of how many disks you use. We’re always considering improvements and will update this item if we and an increase to our plans.

9. Increase IP address allocation limit

On AWS I can assign 12 external IPs to a t2.large. I would like to exceed that limit with GCP. Even If I paid per IP I wouldn't care.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks, we’re considering ways this might be increased. Currently you can only assign one external IP per network device, although we have recently added the ability to use multiple network devices. 12 would be a lot though just to get multiple IPs. Please stay tuned for further developments.

10. Specify swap space size in "Create an instance"

Currently, after a new VM instance is created, the swap space size is 0 and, if desired, we have to add swap space post-creation. It would be nice to be able to enter a desired swap space size in the instance creation form and it would be ready and active when the instance becomes available. Note: I'm mostly using CentOS images.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! Swap space is not a very common use case, so far as we know, and it might not rise to the level of something that makes sense to burden the API with for all time, but we’ll take a look.

11. Need to route from forwarding rule port to another port for instances in target pool

Not sure if this is already supported, but my scenario is that I'd like my load balancer to listen for TCP traffic on port 80 and forward traffic to instances in the relevant target pool listening on port 8080.

I tried to find documentation support the above use case to no avail.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. UDP Packet Fragments cannot be reassembled

UDP Packet Fragments cannot be reassembled

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Set scheduled autoscaling for instance groups bases on time for scale up and down?

Should be a possibility to autoscale based on scheduled time in conjunction with other metrics. This is because, for example, I'm expecting several events during the month on specific days during specific range hours.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have generally not found scheduled autoscaling to be necessary in Google Cloud, unlike some other clouds. The technology behind our Load Balancers is the same as Google uses on all its sites, and we don’t need to do these types of tricks.

We do get this request from time to time, but most customers find it is not needed, and several large web hosters have scrapped their own custom scheduling and pre-spinning approaches when migrating to GCP. Our instance provisioning and boot times are low enough that they work well for many use cases, and App Engine in particular is well suited to very fast and high scaling.

The one thing we can’t affect would be if your particular application server requires a long time to configure itself at instance startup time. The best way to deal with that, at present, would be to try not to do…

14. Compute Engine SSL Install

Can we please get either a decent walk through and/or a quick install feature for SSL certificates. I hate spending hours trying to figure out the particulars of Google Cloud engine and not being able to replicate the issue because it only happens in Google Cloud. Thanks!

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Committed Use Discounts for shared CPU instance

It seems that Committed Use Discounts is only available for at least 1vCPU. But I also want to have Committed Use Discounts for shared CPU instance like g1-small or f1-micro.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Ability to permanently delete projects

As of now projects deleted from console go to shutdown state and stay there for a while. Also there is a limit of 5 projects per user. It would be nice to be able to permanently delete a project by the user instead of waiting.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Set "Delete boot disk when instance is deleted" to "false" by default

Not sure whose idea it was to prefer convenience over permanent data destruction in the defaults for creating a new VM. The default should be safe and forgiving, not deadly.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, we understand your point of view, and definitely choosing defaults is difficult to do. We will evaluate your suggestion, but please understand that it may be difficult to change, since it could be considered a breaking change to the API (many customers no doubt rely on assumptions of the current behavior at this point).

18. Clearly show my daily spend to the left of the cloud shell icon

ADS: Average Daily Spend. I need more info on it to make better decsions, and I doubt that I am the only one.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Get IRAP Certification in Australia

In order to host medical data in Australia one must use a certified cloud provider. see https://www.asd.gov.au/infosec/irap/certified_clouds.htm.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Virtual Network SPAN Port/Server

It would be really awesome if you could assign a specific box to intercept all traffic going through a network. We run our internal infrastructure on GCE and really want to deploy a IDS system with network monitoring. Right now there is no way to setup an IDS in GCE like snort that captures all network traffic.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Compute Engine

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base