Compute Engine

Welcome to the Google Compute Engine idea forum. You can submit and vote on ideas here to tell the Google Compute Engine team which features you’d like to see.

This forum is for feature suggestions, and is visited regularly by Google’s Product Managers. It is not actively monitored by our technical support team. If you’re looking for help forums, look here:

If you are looking to file a bug report for which you do not need 1:1 technical support, you can also visit our Public Issue Tracker

We can’t wait to hear from you!

1. Support Chrome Remote Desktop and/or VNC from Windows GCE Images

Support Chrome Remote Desktop and/or VNC from Windows GCE Images

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Show estimated pricing of each option as it's selected

Users should see cearly an estimated pricing as they create or even select these items: disks, DNS zones, snapshots, and even stopped instances (as they may consume disk or IPs)

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Deny rules on firewall

We can deny an ip address(es) excluding the ones we permit. There should be a choice we cloud block the ip addresses we want.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Expand number of cores according to traffic

Hi
    Start the server with few cores when required we want to increase number of cores

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Multi-regional compute groups

I have a Web App.

Reducing latency is very important for my Web App. I host the static content on CDN, but for dynamic content I create Compute Instances in multiple regions. All these instances are exact replicas of my Web App.

To create these instances, I:
    Create Instance Group per Region (multiple Instance Groups but exact same configuration and Instance Template).
    Add these Instance Groups to Back end Service for Load Balancer.

Every time I roll out an update or do some maintenance work, I regret why I don’t have a single Multi Regional Group.

* My Web App…

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks very much for adding the extra detail to your request – this is very clear, and is in line with what we thought you might be asking for. I’ve shared your FR with the managed infrastructure team, who are thinking about these scenarios for future enhancements.

6. Add ability to "force" shutdown/deletion of instance

When rolling large instance groups, the wait time between the ACPI shutdown signal and the actual removal of the instance from the group is significant (and accrues quickly when performing staggered rollouts).

It would be great if instances could be "force-killed", since a clean shutdown isn't a requirement in many cases.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, that’s a very valid point – it mixes with another recent item about selecting which instances to take down. The ideal goal would be to quickly takedown any idle instances that don’t need clean shutdown but wait for clean shutdown (completion of request processing) for any busy instances. I’m sharing this feedback with the team for consideration.

7. send mail using G suite from Compute Engine

I am using compute engine to host may PHP app, and want to send mail from app from G suit but after researching couple of hours, i just endup with deciding to move service to another host just due to complexity in simple things. At lest make simple these basic things as both are google service.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Chrome OS

How about offering a Chrome OS desktop image?

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. ability to run startup script only once

I'd like to use startup script to initially bootstrap my VM. After that I will manage it using Puppet/Chef/Ansible.
    It seems counter productive to run the script every time the instance reboots. If the configuration needs to change, Puppet/Chef/Ansible will take care of it.
    If nothing works, VM gets deleted and another one comes up.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks, we’ll look into this. In the meantime, it seems like you could accomplish something like this by having the first successful run of your script create a “touch file” (“touch ~/.ran-startup-script”) and then have your script check for that file as the first thing it does, and if it exists on the disk, then just exit.

10. Complete Image Instance Windows

We are testing the features of Cloud Computer Engine.
    We did not find an easy way to create a complete Image (including all disks and OS) of a VM Instance.

In our VM Instance (ge-nv) we have the following disks:
    Ge-nv - Initialization
    Disk-1-bkup
    Disk-1-app
    Disk-1-db
    Disk-1-mongo

We need a way to create a complete image of the VM above, with all HD's.
    Where, image would be: machine and OS configuration and their respective disks.

We have this functionality in AWS, where we use to perform full back up of the Instance.

Without this feature it is impracticable to migrate…

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your suggestion! There is an idea category here for “backup and DR” that is very popular, and as a result, we are currently gathering requirements to do more about basic capabilities like this.

11. Could I see my current cost easily?

I just started.
    I can see a graph of my VM instances' utilization.
    Could you add an option for me to see my current total due?
    Cost management is important for me.

Thank you

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Please add support for Docker swarm

Docker 1.12 is out with swarm - Amazon already has swarm support (beta) we need this in Compute Engine / Container Engine also. Kubernetes is to complicated and to heavy for smaller projects.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Save button should be at top when editing a vm instance

When you click 'Edit' on the Compute Engine VM Instances page you must scroll to the bottom to save your changes. I think instead of just greying out the 'Edit' button it should turn into a 'Save' button.

We are lazy and don't want to scroll to the bottom. Sounds easy enough right?

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. vnc connection to windows desktop

I try to config a win2012 server but I only can connect to remote desktop, the google remote desktop not works..

that is a problem because i only can connect when all works fine in windows.

I better if I have a vnc connection directly in the website, that helps to debug, fix problems with remote desktop, and gift console access

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Rename unattached disk

Not able to rename disk once created.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Support HipChat

Add the option to deploy a ready HipChat server. Just like Amazon Web Services (AWS).

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add "User" to each host in ~/ssh/config with `gcloud compute config-ssh` command

Connections to the VM with OpenSSH only succeed if the correct username is given. Otherwise it returns "Permission denied (publickey)".
    Some external tools, e.g. Ansible, use the SSH config file resp. the SSH agent.

Adding the "User" to each "Host" entry would be help here. Then it's also not required to add it somewhere in the tool config (if possible at all) and therefore these configs can easier be shared without user state in it.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. add tar functionality to gsutil

tar functionality is highly appreciated when you've uploaded a tar.gz compressed raw VM image for 6 hours and then get the error message "ERROR: The file inside the tar archive was named 'something-other-than-disk.raw'. It should be named 'disk.raw'. The documentation for importing VirtualBox images doesn't say that using the name 'disk.raw' is required. So now I have to rename the contents of the tar.gz container locally and wait again for 6 hours until the upload has finished again.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Export to OVA / OVF

Add the ability to export to OVA and any other Open Virtualization Format files.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. enable attaching GPU's to VM from browser interface,, and GPU availability for free trial customers

it's such a hustle attaching a GPU using that command interface, spent over 8 hours on it today, only yo reach the end and the interface said not available in the trial, please help us get them in the browser and offer them on the free trial.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Compute Engine

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base