Compute Engine

Welcome to the Google Compute Engine idea forum. You can submit and vote on ideas here to tell the Google Compute Engine team which features you’d like to see.

This forum is for feature suggestions, and is visited regularly by Google’s Product Managers. It is not actively monitored by our technical support team. If you’re looking for help forums, look here:

If you are looking to file a bug report for which you do not need 1:1 technical support, you can also visit our Public Issue Tracker

We can’t wait to hear from you!

1. Set "Delete boot disk when instance is deleted" to "false" by default

Not sure whose idea it was to prefer convenience over permanent data destruction in the defaults for creating a new VM. The default should be safe and forgiving, not deadly.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Paul Nash responded

Thanks, we understand your point of view, and definitely choosing defaults is difficult to do. We will evaluate your suggestion, but please understand that it may be difficult to change, since it could be considered a breaking change to the API (many customers no doubt rely on assumptions of the current behavior at this point).

2. Could I see my current cost easily?

I just started.
    I can see a graph of my VM instances' utilization.
    Could you add an option for me to see my current total due?
    Cost management is important for me.

Thank you

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  Paul Nash responded

Thanks for the question. We are continually making improvements to our capabilities, including billing insights.

3. Get IRAP Certification in Australia

In order to host medical data in Australia one must use a certified cloud provider. see https://www.asd.gov.au/infosec/irap/certified_clouds.htm.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Virtual Network SPAN Port/Server

It would be really awesome if you could assign a specific box to intercept all traffic going through a network. We run our internal infrastructure on GCE and really want to deploy a IDS system with network monitoring. Right now there is no way to setup an IDS in GCE like snort that captures all network traffic.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Support Chrome Remote Desktop and/or VNC from Windows GCE Images

Support Chrome Remote Desktop and/or VNC from Windows GCE Images

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Show estimated pricing of each option as it's selected

Users should see cearly an estimated pricing as they create or even select these items: disks, DNS zones, snapshots, and even stopped instances (as they may consume disk or IPs)

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, we do this already for VMs, but will consider it for other types.

7. Deny rules on firewall

We can deny an ip address(es) excluding the ones we permit. There should be a choice we cloud block the ip addresses we want.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ve passed your feedback to the networking team. Sorry for the delay finding this idea request and responding.

8. Expand number of cores according to traffic

Hi
    Start the server with few cores when required we want to increase number of cores

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion, we are evaluating this request for future implementation.

9. Add ability to "force" shutdown/deletion of instance

When rolling large instance groups, the wait time between the ACPI shutdown signal and the actual removal of the instance from the group is significant (and accrues quickly when performing staggered rollouts).

It would be great if instances could be "force-killed", since a clean shutdown isn't a requirement in many cases.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, that’s a very valid point – it mixes with another recent item about selecting which instances to take down. The ideal goal would be to quickly takedown any idle instances that don’t need clean shutdown but wait for clean shutdown (completion of request processing) for any busy instances. I’m sharing this feedback with the team for consideration.

10. send mail using G suite from Compute Engine

I am using compute engine to host may PHP app, and want to send mail from app from G suit but after researching couple of hours, i just endup with deciding to move service to another host just due to complexity in simple things. At lest make simple these basic things as both are google service.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Chrome OS

How about offering a Chrome OS desktop image?

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Rename confusing VM Instance "reset" menu option to "hard restart"

I found "reset" option under the "VM instances" list, right click on an instance menu highly confusing. It would be more intuitive to call it "hard restart".

Some (me and my colleague) then saw the option and initially thought about it as a way to reset a host to the state right after the instance creation. Not as "hard restart"

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback. “Naming is hard,” as they say. :/ While we’ll definitely take your feedback under consideration, it is not highly likely that we’ll change this unless we get a ton of feedback on it, because it has been this way a long time, and changing the wording at this point would add even more confusion for our users who used to know it the other way. Also note, the word comes from the model that the button on a real machine is called “reset.” What you’re talking about of “reverting” an instance to its clean state would be a different feature akin to “restoring to a snapshot” or re-creating the disk from the Image, essentially.

13. Complete Image Instance Windows

We are testing the features of Cloud Computer Engine.
    We did not find an easy way to create a complete Image (including all disks and OS) of a VM Instance.

In our VM Instance (ge-nv) we have the following disks:
    Ge-nv - Initialization
    Disk-1-bkup
    Disk-1-app
    Disk-1-db
    Disk-1-mongo

We need a way to create a complete image of the VM above, with all HD's.
    Where, image would be: machine and OS configuration and their respective disks.

We have this functionality in AWS, where we use to perform full back up of the Instance.

Without this feature it is impracticable to migrate…

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your suggestion! There is an idea category here for “backup and DR” that is very popular, and as a result, we are currently gathering requirements to do more about basic capabilities like this.

14. Please add support for Docker swarm

Docker 1.12 is out with swarm - Amazon already has swarm support (beta) we need this in Compute Engine / Container Engine also. Kubernetes is to complicated and to heavy for smaller projects.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your suggestion, we will consider your request and share with the GKE team as well.

15. Save button should be at top when editing a vm instance

When you click 'Edit' on the Compute Engine VM Instances page you must scroll to the bottom to save your changes. I think instead of just greying out the 'Edit' button it should turn into a 'Save' button.

We are lazy and don't want to scroll to the bottom. Sounds easy enough right?

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. vnc connection to windows desktop

I try to config a win2012 server but I only can connect to remote desktop, the google remote desktop not works..

that is a problem because i only can connect when all works fine in windows.

I better if I have a vnc connection directly in the website, that helps to debug, fix problems with remote desktop, and gift console access

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

we’ll look into VNC. If you are interested in console access, you have the option of configuring WinRM support on your instance.

17. Support HipChat

Add the option to deploy a ready HipChat server. Just like Amazon Web Services (AWS).

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, we’ll investigate. We’d love to have Atlassian products in our Cloud Launcher!

18. Add "User" to each host in ~/ssh/config with `gcloud compute config-ssh` command

Connections to the VM with OpenSSH only succeed if the correct username is given. Otherwise it returns "Permission denied (publickey)".
    Some external tools, e.g. Ansible, use the SSH config file resp. the SSH agent.

Adding the "User" to each "Host" entry would be help here. Then it's also not required to add it somewhere in the tool config (if possible at all) and therefore these configs can easier be shared without user state in it.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. add tar functionality to gsutil

tar functionality is highly appreciated when you've uploaded a tar.gz compressed raw VM image for 6 hours and then get the error message "ERROR: The file inside the tar archive was named 'something-other-than-disk.raw'. It should be named 'disk.raw'. The documentation for importing VirtualBox images doesn't say that using the name 'disk.raw' is required. So now I have to rename the contents of the tar.gz container locally and wait again for 6 hours until the upload has finished again.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. enable attaching GPU's to VM from browser interface,, and GPU availability for free trial customers

it's such a hustle attaching a GPU using that command interface, spent over 8 hours on it today, only yo reach the end and the interface said not available in the trial, please help us get them in the browser and offer them on the free trial.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  Paul Nash responded

Thanks, these options will be available at a future date, these are just currently not available in the beta program.

• Don't see your idea?

Compute Engine

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base