Compute Engine

Welcome to the Google Compute Engine idea forum. You can submit and vote on ideas here to tell the Google Compute Engine team which features you’d like to see.

This forum is for feature suggestions, and is visited regularly by Google’s Product Managers. It is not actively monitored by our technical support team. If you’re looking for help forums, look here:

If you are looking to file a bug report for which you do not need 1:1 technical support, you can also visit our Public Issue Tracker

We can’t wait to hear from you!

1. Please add support for Docker swarm

Docker 1.12 is out with swarm - Amazon already has swarm support (beta) we need this in Compute Engine / Container Engine also. Kubernetes is to complicated and to heavy for smaller projects.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Paul Nash responded

Thanks for your suggestion, we will consider your request and share with the GKE team as well.

2. Save button should be at top when editing a vm instance

When you click 'Edit' on the Compute Engine VM Instances page you must scroll to the bottom to save your changes. I think instead of just greying out the 'Edit' button it should turn into a 'Save' button.

We are lazy and don't want to scroll to the bottom. Sounds easy enough right?

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. vnc connection to windows desktop

I try to config a win2012 server but I only can connect to remote desktop, the google remote desktop not works..

that is a problem because i only can connect when all works fine in windows.

I better if I have a vnc connection directly in the website, that helps to debug, fix problems with remote desktop, and gift console access

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

we’ll look into VNC. If you are interested in console access, you have the option of configuring WinRM support on your instance.

4. Support HipChat

Add the option to deploy a ready HipChat server. Just like Amazon Web Services (AWS).

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, we’ll investigate. We’d love to have Atlassian products in our Cloud Launcher!

5. Add "User" to each host in ~/ssh/config with `gcloud compute config-ssh` command

Connections to the VM with OpenSSH only succeed if the correct username is given. Otherwise it returns "Permission denied (publickey)".
    Some external tools, e.g. Ansible, use the SSH config file resp. the SSH agent.

Adding the "User" to each "Host" entry would be help here. Then it's also not required to add it somewhere in the tool config (if possible at all) and therefore these configs can easier be shared without user state in it.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Ability to transfer the reserved static ip addresses to another GCP project I own

When transferring k8s cluster to another gcp project due to billing issues, we had to release and reserve the new static ip addresses. But the old ones we had whitelisted on several endpoints, updating which takes quite a while. It would be great if we could just transfer those ip addresses to another gcp project we own.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, we’ve shared this suggestion with the feature team so they may consider it for their backlog.

7. Outbound firewall rules

My wish list is that you can also secure your instance's egress traffic by having the capability to have rules for specific target and ports.

If I want to protect my instance to disable internet access, I will configure (egress) to block port 80 on any target. Then I can also filter ports & IP address or IP Block for the egress traffic.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. A method to forward e-mails coming to administrative users (like root) of a VM instance to project users

Since all outbound TCP connections to ports 25, 465, and 587 from a GCE instance are not allowed, there should be an easy method to forward e-mails coming to administrative users of a VM instance (like root, ubuntu, etc. in a Linux instance) to project users. Preventing sending out e-mails from an instance also makes life difficult for many other tools (monitoring etc.) that rely on e-mail communication to send alerts.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion, we’re currently looking into enhancements in this area. We’ll update this item as information becomes available.

9. Cloud Shell Preconfigured Image

I'd like to spin up a larger-than-micro instance for a cloud shell (micro appears to be too small to run the HBase shell). Would save me the trouble of installing maven, sdks, etc when I provision the instance.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi, thanks for the idea. Cloud Shell is meant to be a fast and easy way to quickly interact with a VM shell, and the free nature is connected to the fact that it’s a small VM you’re getting. For more elaborate work, you may want to consider configuring an Image in GCE just the way you want it, and then spinning up instances of that Image as necessary. With our 10-minute minimum billing duration for a VM, it would likely still be quite affordable.

10. Show health check status of each VM in an instance group

The instance group viewing page in the Google Cloud console should show the health check of the VMs. At the moment, there's no way to view the health status of VMs in an instance group from the console.

It should show the health status on this page:

https://storage.googleapis.com/hivemp-public-resources/suggestion.PNG

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. docker-compose in Container-VM Image

There is no way to install additional applications for a container-vm-image. So please provide docker-compose.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Make pricing by region easier to understand

Use the same names for regions on the pricing page (https://cloud.google.com/compute/pricing) as you do when looking at instances.

Display the actual hourly pricing, not including discounts when you select or edit a product.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. network usage

Would be helpful to allow me to give you an interval and you tell me how much network bandwidth is consumed during that time interval for a vm. My bill is charged by GB, not B/sec.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Keep consistent naming on VM's NAT resources.

Some VMs go up with "external-nat", others with "External NAT", making scripting a living hell and causing problems with VM cicling in a single static IP.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add GPU utilization graphs

This would be similar to the CPU utilization graphs that are associated with each vm instance.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, we’ll consider this in the future. Because our GPUs are a “pass through” operational mode, it’s not clear that GCE has access to the metrics that would be necessary to implement this.

16. shrink disk for small its size without downtime in services running on it

i have a special need with an instance running a server and it cant have any downtime, previously i had to increase its disk size for a eventuality but now isnt necesary that space.
    I think that maybe its posible add this feature with a workload using a shrink disk and add the feature of delete the useless volume generated, or something that make possible small its size, like we can grow it in the console actually

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the request. We currently don’t support shrinking disk volumes currently, but it’s something we’re considering for the future.

17. Configure Health Check with HTTP authentification basic and expected value.

I want to use an API URL with basic HTTP authentication in Health Check.

The API return on / off string.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Display total VM count in VM Instance screen at top

Display total VM count in VM Instance screen at the top to know the number of VM's this make it easy if we have more VMs

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. auto complete to network tags

After setting a firewall policy and setting it into a target label I am back at the instance VM to add the target label but misplaced it. I suggest for auto-complete thetag name to avoid missspelling. Moreover, if you could assign the tag to instnaces from the netwrok screen rather than jumping between the two it would also save time.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. add "Shutdown script (Optional)" field in addResourceForm on Google Cloud Console

In Google Cloud Console
    In Create an instance template and Create an instance (addResourceForm)
    in Automation section

add "Shutdown script (Optional)" text area like "Startup script (Optional)"

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Compute Engine