Compute Engine

Welcome to the Google Compute Engine idea forum. You can submit and vote on ideas here to tell the Google Compute Engine team which features you’d like to see.

This forum is for feature suggestions, and is visited regularly by Google’s Product Managers. It is not actively monitored by our technical support team. If you’re looking for help forums, look here:

If you are looking to file a bug report for which you do not need 1:1 technical support, you can also visit our Public Issue Tracker

We can’t wait to hear from you!

1. Outbound firewall rules

My wish list is that you can also secure your instance's egress traffic by having the capability to have rules for specific target and ports.

If I want to protect my instance to disable internet access, I will configure (egress) to block port 80 on any target. Then I can also filter ports & IP address or IP Block for the egress traffic.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. A method to forward e-mails coming to administrative users (like root) of a VM instance to project users

Since all outbound TCP connections to ports 25, 465, and 587 from a GCE instance are not allowed, there should be an easy method to forward e-mails coming to administrative users of a VM instance (like root, ubuntu, etc. in a Linux instance) to project users. Preventing sending out e-mails from an instance also makes life difficult for many other tools (monitoring etc.) that rely on e-mail communication to send alerts.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Cloud Shell Preconfigured Image

I'd like to spin up a larger-than-micro instance for a cloud shell (micro appears to be too small to run the HBase shell). Would save me the trouble of installing maven, sdks, etc when I provision the instance.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi, thanks for the idea. Cloud Shell is meant to be a fast and easy way to quickly interact with a VM shell, and the free nature is connected to the fact that it’s a small VM you’re getting. For more elaborate work, you may want to consider configuring an Image in GCE just the way you want it, and then spinning up instances of that Image as necessary. With our 10-minute minimum billing duration for a VM, it would likely still be quite affordable.

4. Show health check status of each VM in an instance group

The instance group viewing page in the Google Cloud console should show the health check of the VMs. At the moment, there's no way to view the health status of VMs in an instance group from the console.

It should show the health status on this page:

https://storage.googleapis.com/hivemp-public-resources/suggestion.PNG

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Sharing snapshots and images across projects

I don’t know how Google expect the majority of people to use projects in GCE, but we are mainly interested in them as a better way than is available in AWS of dividing resources up between cost centres. We might occasionally end up giving third-parties access to a specific project (e.g. giving a client access to the servers which we run on their behalf), but our main interest in GCE projects relates to internal administration and cost control.

In this context, it is a nuisance that a snapshot created in one project cannot be used in another project, and that…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Set Windows username and password on instance creation

Currently there is no easy way to set username and password for Windows machine instances in the Console. Creation wizard only allows to set SSH keys for linux instances.

Password could not be easily set even programmatically https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/compute-image-windows/issues/103

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Rename confusing VM Instance "reset" menu option to "hard restart"

I found "reset" option under the "VM instances" list, right click on an instance menu highly confusing. It would be more intuitive to call it "hard restart".

Some (me and my colleague) then saw the option and initially thought about it as a way to reset a host to the state right after the instance creation. Not as "hard restart"

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your feedback. “Naming is hard,” as they say. :/ While we’ll definitely take your feedback under consideration, it is not highly likely that we’ll change this unless we get a ton of feedback on it, because it has been this way a long time, and changing the wording at this point would add even more confusion for our users who used to know it the other way. Also note, the word comes from the model that the button on a real machine is called “reset.” What you’re talking about of “reverting” an instance to its clean state would be a different feature akin to “restoring to a snapshot” or re-creating the disk from the Image, essentially.

8. docker-compose in Container-VM Image

There is no way to install additional applications for a container-vm-image. So please provide docker-compose.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Make pricing by region easier to understand

Use the same names for regions on the pricing page (https://cloud.google.com/compute/pricing) as you do when looking at instances.

Display the actual hourly pricing, not including discounts when you select or edit a product.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Keep consistent naming on VM's NAT resources.

Some VMs go up with "external-nat", others with "External NAT", making scripting a living hell and causing problems with VM cicling in a single static IP.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add a graph of the number of instances in a instance group

Today we can't see a historic data of the number of instances we had in a specific instance group.
    I think a graph with the number of instances can be very useful

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add GPU utilization graphs

This would be similar to the CPU utilization graphs that are associated with each vm instance.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. shrink disk for small its size without downtime in services running on it

i have a special need with an instance running a server and it cant have any downtime, previously i had to increase its disk size for a eventuality but now isnt necesary that space.
    I think that maybe its posible add this feature with a workload using a shrink disk and add the feature of delete the useless volume generated, or something that make possible small its size, like we can grow it in the console actually

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Reset & Delete buttons should be moved and colored

In [VM Instances] etc...
    The quick access buttons [Reset] & [Delete] should be moved to the far right on the bar and/or coloured red rather than blue.

Reset is also a confusing name, should be Hard Reset or Image Reset...

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Automatic Snapshot of any particular disk

Automatic Snapshot of any particular disk. Icould see a button to create automatic snapshot, but it seems it is taking snapshots of all disks in the project. There should be one more column which ask to schedule automatic snapshot of particular disk.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Display total VM count in VM Instance screen at top

Display total VM count in VM Instance screen at the top to know the number of VM's this make it easy if we have more VMs

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. auto complete to network tags

After setting a firewall policy and setting it into a target label I am back at the instance VM to add the target label but misplaced it. I suggest for auto-complete thetag name to avoid missspelling. Moreover, if you could assign the tag to instnaces from the netwrok screen rather than jumping between the two it would also save time.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Ability to transfer the reserved static ip addresses to another GCP project I own

When transferring k8s cluster to another gcp project due to billing issues, we had to release and reserve the new static ip addresses. But the old ones we had whitelisted on several endpoints, updating which takes quite a while. It would be great if we could just transfer those ip addresses to another gcp project we own.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Firewall Ip Label

In Firewall ==> Source IP ranges ==> Add a label or description for each ip

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Image creation (Windows-specific)

I can’t speak for Linux images – though comment on the web and on this forum suggests that it’s similar – but Windows image creation on GCE is horrible compared to AWS.

In AWS it’s 3 mouse clicks plus typing in a name. In GCE, the instance which is the source of the image has to be permanently destroyed, and there’s a need to manually run the gcesysprep utility. Putting the cherry on the cake, the gcesysprep undoes various system changes which are a common feature of Windows administration. For example, we turn off automatic installation of Windows updates –…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Compute Engine

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base