Compute Engine

Welcome to the Google Compute Engine idea forum. You can submit and vote on ideas here to tell the Google Compute Engine team which features you’d like to see.

This forum is for feature suggestions, and is visited regularly by Google’s Product Managers. It is not actively monitored by our technical support team. If you’re looking for help forums, look here:

If you are looking to file a bug report for which you do not need 1:1 technical support, you can also visit our Public Issue Tracker

We can’t wait to hear from you!

1. Image creation (Windows-specific)

I can’t speak for Linux images – though comment on the web and on this forum suggests that it’s similar – but Windows image creation on GCE is horrible compared to AWS.

In AWS it’s 3 mouse clicks plus typing in a name. In GCE, the instance which is the source of the image has to be permanently destroyed, and there’s a need to manually run the gcesysprep utility. Putting the cherry on the cake, the gcesysprep undoes various system changes which are a common feature of Windows administration. For example, we turn off automatic installation of Windows updates –…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Retrieve Performance for a VM

Retrieve Performance for a VM

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Google Cloud Connector for Vmware and Hyper-V

Create something AWS Connect for Vmware to be able just drag and drop private cloud apps and servers into GCP

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Web interface do not refresh while navigating

The web interface should periodically refresh vm instances and other object. When I use tools for CM like vagrant and gcloud I must hit f5 key to see the effect. Without it list of objects do not change at all

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Insert copy button for every instance public IP address

Very simple feature, add a button or link next to Public IP address in order to copy it! It will save a lot of time.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Committed use discounts for organizations

It would be nice if we could purchase commitments for an Organization, instead of a project. The Organization could then allocate vCPUs and memory to each project.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. edit option on vm instance landing page

Allow quicker, more obvious editing of VM instances:

Add an "Edit" button that targets selected VM Instances on the VM Instances landing page, or add an "Edit" button to the context menu of each VM instance.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Provide autoscaling but with support for public IP address for each new VM that is pre-configured and newly spawned.

Sometimes there are institutions that need a public IP on the VMs to be whitelisted before they allow access to their websites/services.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi, could you provide an example or more detailed description of the scenario you’re describing? It sounds like your best approach might be to allocate static IPs, so that you know in advance of creating the VM what the IP is going to be (and can keep it as long as you want). Then assign those IPs to the appropriate VMs once you have configured the remote networks. Does this address your concern?

10. network usage

Would be helpful to allow me to give you an interval and you tell me how much network bandwidth is consumed during that time interval for a vm. My bill is charged by GB, not B/sec.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Perl need to be added to the existing support programming languages

Everything is pretty good except that you don't provide a support for Perl, a standard programming language for years. That's really bad.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi, can you please clarify what product you’re giving feedback for? I’m not sure what you mean by “support” for Perl. Do you mean in App Engine, perhaps? Or, programming support for the GCE API itself? Or, installed packages in one of the VM OS images we provide?

Thx

12. Make possible to hibernate a VM

It would be nice to hibernate (save status and RAM) of a running instance and store it as snapshot.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. /dev/disk/by-id/ contains only one NVMe device symlink when having multiple NVMe Local SSD disks attached to one Ubuntu 16.04 instance

I created an instance with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and three Local SSDs in NVMe mode.

/dev/disk/by-id/ is missing two of three Local SSDs attached to instance

$ ls -ltra /dev/disk/by-id/
    total 0
    drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 120 tammi 16 09:35 ..
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 tammi 16 09:35 nvme-nvmecardnvmecard -> ../../nvme0n2
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 140 tammi 16 09:35 .
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 tammi 16 09:35 scsi-0Google
    PersistentDiskelk -> ../../sda
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 tammi 16 09:35 google-elk -> ../../sda
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 tammi 16 09:35 scsi-0Google
    PersistentDisk_elk-part1 -> ../../sda1 …

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks again for the report. We have confirmed that there is a bug in disk/by-id/ node creation for NVMe. In the interim, the nvme* devices should work. This will be fixed in future image releases.

14. 6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Ability to use gcloud without an external IP on the instance

For security reasons you may not want to have your instance externally accessible (e.g. it is a back-end webserver sitting behind a firewall instance, where the firewall is what people connect to), so you don't give it an external IP. It would still be useful to be able to use gcloud on that instance. Currently the request hangs, with no apparent timeout.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Would be great to have a UI to manage files from local machine to the instances so we can upload files

Would be great to have a UI to manage files from local machine to the instances so we can upload files

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. At this time we don’t install any Google software on the guest that would be well-suited to receiving and storing those files on disk, as many customers would not want that capability (it is a potential security risk that needs to be managed). One mechanism to achieve what you want is to copy files up to Google Cloud Storage, but then you’d have to copy them onto the machine. Another method that customers who want this use would be to install an ftp daemon on the machine (and configure the firewall, etc.)

17. Let me grant permission/authority over a single instance so I can provide these to my contractors without concerns about them touching other

Let me grant permission/authority over a single instance so I can provide these to my contractors without concerns about them touching other

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. VM instance labels are really tags

In the VM instances page, there is an option to edit instances labels. Initially I was confused as to the difference between labels and tags. However, it seems they are the same thing, just different terminology which is super confusing.

When you add a tag, it adds to labels. When you delete a label, it deletes the tag.

I'd recommend renaming labels to tags in the web interface.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Custom description of machines

I use an orchestration tool that autonames the machines. This makes aligning what the machine is very difficult when looking at the dashboard. I'd really benefit from some editable field I can click into and make annotations on ("GitLab server", "Rails application", etc).

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Group pricing history per project

We've split our GCE hosting into separate projects to get better insights into spending. However the billing history shows all the projects combined and there's no easy way to see a split per project.

Either the console should allow you to filter or group on project or the exported csv should put the project in a separate field; right now it's in the description as (Source: <project name>). Or both.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Compute Engine

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base