How can we improve Compute Engine?

Backup schedules

Add the ability to create automatic backup schedules, much like Rackspace and others, for persistent disks. Currently the only way we have to do something like this is to run a cron task from an instance with gcloud commands. Preferably, we'd be able to take snapshots on regular intervals from a simple admin interface instead. Bonus points for adding rolling last n backup capability, like - last three hours, last three days, last three weeks, last three months.

631 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Clay Gulick shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Levi Koenig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to be added! The hacked together methods on GitHub that allow people to accomplish this show that there is demand for this. I have a project and I am not overly technical. The snap-shot functionality gives me some relief knowing that I have access to my project in case something goes wrong. Currently I have to go into the interface everyday and manually create all my needed snapshots. This is time consuming and annoying.

• Gourav Kapoor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe we dont only need to have the scheduler for automatic snapshots but we should have following features built in.

1. Snapshot Groups -- Where I could mention no. of Disks or group specific disks together to be backed up at same time)
        2. Snapshots Via Labels - Where snapshot should only occur for certain machines or disks based on labels.

• AdminPaul Nash (Product Manager, GCE, Google) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, we evaluate our feature requests backlog continuously with each release, and internally at Google we do planning approximately quarterly. "Under Review" here essentially means it is tracked and we're evaluating it, gathering requirements, and studying the market need. We don't state something is "Planned" until we have high confidence that engineering is going to start working on it. So, in this forum, it may be possible to see suggestions "Under Review" for quite some time, unfortunately.

In the case of this feature, we're actively investigating requirements with users that potentially need this feature.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When will this be reviewed again? It's been 2 years since the last "under review" status

• NIc Boyde commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Presently cron jobs cannot be run on GC Engine - some footling objection to disappearing instances etc - but a cron-job that limits itself, say, to creating snapshots of all available instances need not worry about instances that aren't there - just back up those that aren't.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this will be a MUST feature if GCP wants to have any big Enterprise customer. I am going to have number of GCEs in multiple projects. I am not sure how I can reliably/consistently manage the snapshots of many GCEs without the automatic backup schedules service.

• Javier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hope you implement this, it´s hard to keep fresh snapshots manually.

• javcove commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the only feature that I think is missing on Computer Engine. I have other providers and offer automatic snapshots: las 24 hours, last week and las 15 days. Having this here will be great and help us to decide us to move everything to Google.

• Clayton Gulick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Scott - agreed, though for the specific use case of automating backup schedules a simple admin UI might encourage adoption, though I like the flexibility of the more general GCP cron service approach.

• AdminScott Van Woudenberg (Admin, Google) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a great feature alright. To me, it seems like the best approach would be to provide a general, cross-platform solution, like a GCP cron service, so that it can be used for this use case, as well as use cases for other products (e.g., expire/delete GCS objects/buckets, periodically run a dataflow job, etc.). Thoughts?

• Clayton Gulick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the problems with using gcloud and automated script to do this in the existing way is that it exposes a service account with credentials to destroy the entire cluster and all backups. If the one machine that runs these automated scripts is compromised, then the hacker can take down our whole business, delete all backups and put us in an unrecoverable state. Having an admin option and having google manage the backup schedule reduces the security risk associated with service accounts with powerful API access.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base