How can we improve Compute Engine?

Provide Cloud NAS

It would be great to have something like AWS EFS (Cloud based Elastic NFS).

You could consider providing the NAS as AFS (Andrew FS) also, which has much better security for multi-tenant situations, support for Linux, Win, OSX and automatic client side caching, which would be very useful in a lot of HPC situations.

Some sort of GCE provided NAS would simplify the deployment of a project I am working on tremendously.

72 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Aaron Estrada shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dane MacMillan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Given that fuse mounting a GCS bucket offers very poor performance (https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/gcsfuse/issues/217), and the single node NFS server is not officially supported by GCP, having an enterprise offering similar to AWS EFS is very desirable. I'd replace my NFS server the moment this was offered. Sharing R/W data across instances in a group should not be as roundabout as it currently is.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hosted NFS would really help to share files between GKE Kubernetes pods.
        Amazon has it for years already as EFS.

• AdminPaul Nash (Product Manager, GCE, Google) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We appreciate the desire in this request for a scalable filer solution. We are evaluating that as a possible future product. In the meantime I thought I would mention that several of the use cases here are pretty simple as far as data sharing goes, and couple be accomplishable by something like the GCS Fuse tool. Alternately as my teammate Scott mentioned earlier, our partner Avere provides a higher scale, high performance software package for running a filer in GCP.

https://cloud.google.com/storage/docs/gcs-fuse

• Peter Novotnak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My company needs to distribute ~600gb of data to each vm we spawn, which can number in the thousands, and their lifetimes are very short (30m-5h). It would be excellent to have NFSv4 or something provided so that we don't have to choose between spending lots on provisioning disks and waiting for them to come online, or lots to keep those disks online for long periods.

• AdminScott Van Woudenberg (Admin, Google) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think what you're really asking for here is some sort of shared virtual filer that all VMs can mount/use. We'd love to hear from anyone else that wants/needs this so we can establish a critical mass of demand.

In the meantime, depending on the scale you need, you can create a second VM with a huge PD and run nfsd, mounted from your other VMs. Or you can look into using a partner solution like Avere[1].

[1] - https://cloud.google.com/partners/technology-partners/avere-systems/

• Craig Jackson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently GCE only supports read-only disks across multiple VMs. I want to be able to have a shared LINUX "home" directory across multiple VMs so that I don't have to scp scripts etc between VMs.

Feedback and Knowledge Base