How can we improve Compute Engine?

Please unblock port 25 (allow outbound mail connections)

This is of course already addressed in you documentation, but as far as we're concerned the given answer is inappropriate for us. We do not wish to spam anyone, send mass emails, or abuse the system in any other way. I would expect the service to allow us the chance to prove this and not block such outgoing traffic until any actual offense takes place.
I was very pleased to have started work on your platform, but this single issue is likely to force me to search for a different provider.

329 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminPaul Nash (Product Manager, GCE, Google) responded  · 

Hello folks,

We are currently testing a new option that may help people send mail without using a third party service. If you are interested in testing this product, please fill out the interest request form here1. Product Management for the feature may reach out to you.

We are also continuing to make improvements to our system to allow for some customers that have an established relationship with us to apply for an exception to be able to send directly on port 25. There are a number of IP reputation issues that have to be worked through for such a use case, so it should not be considered a common solution that will meet everyone’s needs.

We will have more updates on both of these items over time.

1 https://www.google.com/url?q=https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScg6ponYf4bc9HftBh4H4LypqpqKm3AS3bEJ20u_EfgTw59GQ/viewform&sa=D&source=hangouts&ust=1539107700687000&usg=AFQjCNFJ4f8dyp1OgCLUwjeLWoUKY1-Z6Q

23 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • PCS Web commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When is this going to happen? I'm really very tired of paying $89/mo to Sendgrid while we wait!

• Jagadeesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

GCP please let us know how long would it take to open port 25. so that we can plan accordingly.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have just invested a whole work day to set up my own mail server for my own IT business and another customer that is waiting for an email solution...just to find out during "go-live" that Google blocks port 25 without ANY IN-HOUSE SOLUTION available that doesn't involve extra costs. I have prepaid Google Cloud and now I can't use those funds for my own needs. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE. Look at AWS people! They know how to do service. Dear mighty Google, this is just a joke!! Isn't it???

• PCS Web commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Been trying to get my postfix to send on port 587 for hours now. Looks like port 25 may be our only hope.

hello,
        we using validate_email library for emails validation and it requires port 25. Is there another solution?

thanks

• Magnus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow outgoing SMTP.

This is a dealbreaker; AWS has it. Using a 3rd party relay removes all troubleshooting capabilities.

• Mo El Hout commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't want to use maligun or any of the two services that you work with.
        I had mail for free with my previous hosting and ever since moving to GCE I've had to use services like Zoho to handle my emails.
        Now I learn that wordpress can't send me password reset emails because of your limitations.

Thank you.

A virtual machine without send email capability is like a McLaren P1 LM without engine starter, and you have no choice other than to push start (with email partners, SendGrid and Mailgun) your car.

A virtual machine without send email capability is like a McLaren P1 LM without engine starter, and you have no choice other than to push start (with email partners, SendGrid and Mailgun) your car.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I already have a sendgrid account, how can I bind with Google VM instance?

• Anders commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be a way to whitelist a VM on request. SendGrid and others ask for significant extra fees (for static IP addresses), without which a mere 85% or so delivery rate can be achieved. For small projects just starting out, those extra $1,000/year are an annoyance. Lack of deliverability totally makes transactional email systems non-working.

• Robert Middleswarth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about a way to unblock port 25. Even if requires human review it would be useful. We are looking to move resources to Google Cloud but in the end we can't move everything to Google Cloud because of the port blocking.

• AdminPaul Nash (Product Manager, GCE, Google) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, sorry but UserVoice is for product suggestions and feedback about what we can make better, but is not staffed for technical support responses. Please visit the gce-discussion Google Group, or post on a forum like StackOverflow or StackExchange where our support team can connect with you to help with any issues you may have. Thanks!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base