opisthenar shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Zubair Sharief commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Too late Google, we went with AWS as their support was official and they supported hosting FreeBSD VMs from a long time, maybe in the future we might migrate or host new services.

• Nicholas de Jong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Posting to save time for others, pardon the at-a-tangent Terraform topic here

When attempting to address a FreeBSD image through Terraform, you must prefix the name with the project name - for example:-

```
    boot_disk {
    initialize_params {
    image = "freebsd-org-cloud-dev/freebsd-11-2-stable-amd64-v20180628"
    }
    }
    ```

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wonderful! Now please fix Chrome/chromium so it works on FreeBSD for the vast majority who want to use it!!

• Shawn Bakhtiar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 on this topic. I agree that one of the reasons for low adoption may very well be the fact that it's not part of the standard offering. If it were, you may very well see a much higher adoption rate. (Linux has gone rogue) I am currently looking at a project I would like to deploy on FreeBSD and hesitant to do so as it is not part of the standard offering.

I'm going to check out the latest 11.1R release, as suggested by @Helen Koike, to see how it fares. But my first attempt using a different image was a bit buggy; had issues with ssh (public key issue), and at some point lost all http traffic from the outside, though it had been working a few days ago.

• Jeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok Google, try this. Publish the latest versions of FreeBSD and OpenBSD then observe the usage. If the image usage is actually very low as you posit then remove them. I don't think a few hours investment of labor will be an issue to test the market for these images.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe that there are lots of FreeBSD developers in Google willing to help about this. It's probably worthy also to talk to them.

• Shanmugam Kulandaivel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Community built FreeBSD images are available from the reebsd-org-cloud-dev project. Please follow instructions at https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/56664/

For eg. "gcloud compute instances create freebsdtest --image freebsd-10-3-stable-amd64-2017-03-10 --image-project freebsd-org-cloud-dev"

Please note that these images are not built by Google, hence the level of integration with the platform is not the same as other images.

Feedback and Knowledge Base