How can we improve Compute Engine?

add label for snapshot

When creating a VM from a snapshot, there should be some type of label that tells you what snapshot it was.

When creating a VM from an image, same thing.

2 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Andy Freeman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminPaul Nash (Product Manager, GCE, Google) responded  · 

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Please take a look at the “sourceImage” property that you can get by doing "gcloud compute disks describe " and see if it meets your needs.

If not, please post back by comment and let us know how we could provide additional capability.

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminPaul Nash (Product Manager, GCE, Google) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Andy,

Sorry, please re-check my comment. I was saying that you need to use the gcloud command line tool (or alternately, access the API directly) to see the sourceImage property information. Similarly, for a snapshot, you can read the sourceDisk property, which can be seen in the API via "gcloud compute snapshots describe".

• Andy Freeman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not see sourceImage as a field on the "VM Instance Details". So If I created a VM from a snapshot name baseline1234, I have added a label/property to capture this. I'd rather this be captured by default. If it is, I am only seeing baseline1234 added through the label that I added.

Feedback and Knowledge Base