(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    justin@fathomdb.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

27 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • lynn wilkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Instance ipV6 will be useful.
        My home machine is ipV6, thank you Comcast.
        But my google compute engine can't scp a result file to my home machine.
        Yes I can use scp to pull a file from the compute engine. That is awkward when I just want to
        have the file show up in my results directory after a nights run.
        So, yes, we need ipV6 to and from the compute engine.

• Adam Ierymenko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IPv6 through to compute engine is critical for things other than just HTTP. The entire Internet is not HTTP. There's VoIP, P2P protocols, game protocols, DNS, and numerous other things. There are also protocols that want to see the inbound IP of connections and load balancers hide that.

• Yans R.H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Referring to your IPv6 Statistics now is over 20%...
        I hope you are going to make this a high priority in 2018 ... Nevertheless thank you for the rest, GCP is solid.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey, it's yet another year passed and IPv6 doesn't even have an ETA or timeline announced. Any updates? This is causing a ton of strain on our engineering team having to work around not only limited internal IPv4 address spaces (10.x) but the bizarre routing infrastructure they have to adhere to within GCP.

Can we get an update?

• Mattias Holmlund commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I definitely want the instance-level IPv6. We are using IPv6 to communicate between VMs in different Amazon regions (direct communication, no NAT, no VPN) and it simplifies our architecture a lot. I would like to be able to do the same thing on GCE.

• Ken S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nice to see that it's being worked on.

Most ISPs in the UK now support IPv6. Only the **** ones don't.

• Sean J. Schluntz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Despite the low adoption of IPv6 worldwide it is very deeply integrated into many market segments (like education). Not being able to use IPv6 within GCE creates limitations on what can and can't be pushed out into the cloud. Adding support for it, even in limited ways (like in only one zone to start) would go a long way to helping adoption.

• Ilya Shevyrev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,
        I can't believe. I'd more than year pause with migration to GCE but IPv6 implementation in same state as year ago. i.e. absent :(

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"At Google we believe IPv6 is essential to the continued health and growth of the Internet" --google.com/intl/en/ipv6/

• AdminPaul Nash (Product Manager, GCE, Google) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Ryan, thanks for your comment, we're definitely aware that the industry is finally moving towards IPv6, and plan on joining that club in GCP as soon as we can. Our team is also well aware that this feature has now regained #1 status on this forum (because we implemented the other one, ha.)

Implementing it to the LB frontend first is indeed something we're looking at, and it's helpful to know that this would address your use case, at least initially.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base