How can we improve Compute Engine?

Recover deleted instance

If an instance is deleted, it is deleted permanently. Could you please provide a recover from trash option if possible?

Thank you.

141 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I accidentally deleted a VM instead of stopping it. I am so screwed since it had a month of work. A trash bin would be really nice.

Hey I just that costly mistake of deleting the VM instead of stopping it. Now I have lost many hours of my work. Please bring this feature ASAP.

• raj kumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is so sad, you can not recover the deleted vm, I read a article where mentioned you have 15 days backup of vm. i think Aws is better option

• Sudhakar Suga commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems like a feature to be offered to save from human error..a new admin on my team accidentally deleted it instead of resetting the VM.. some of the data was kept only on VM :(.. It could even be a timed support say "undelete within x hours" as in most probability the goof up is noticed in few minutes!

I just accidentally deleted a VM that I didn't have a snapshot. UnDelete feature needs to be added asp.

• AdminPaul Nash (Product Manager, GCE, Google) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the continued comments on this option. We're considering this on our backlog, but don't have any ETA to share at this time. Contrary to commentary here, it is not "as simple as one line of code" for many reasons, but we're looking at possible designs. I we hope that we can offer this in the future.

I deleted my instance; I think it should make a Bin or trash at least for certain amount of time.

Is a Full stack compute engine.

• George commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,
        You could keep deleted VM alive for 30 minutes. So that if I clicked mistakenly on the delete button, I could go back and restore it. Is this that hard? This can be done in one line of code and no additional resources (compared to the deception of recreating the new instance.. etc) I guess.
        Thanks,
        George

omg this needs to be added asp i accidentally deleted my instance that i have been setting up for a day

• alireza sadeghi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature really seems overkill but would be a perfect solution to temporarily fix any possible human errors.

In our use case, we sometimes create and remove lots of instances to save time and test different configurations. We're always dead worried not to mistakenly remove a live instance.

This feature would be great, being able to recover a deleted instance for a duration of like 15 minutes after the deletion.

Thanks

I'm +1 for this feature.
        I just accidentally deleted a VM that I didn't have a snapshot for or persistent disk backup.
        Even a dialog pop-up of "Are you sure you want to delete instance ..." would be nice. You are prompted when deleting an instance using the gcloud command.

• AdminPaul Nash (Product Manager, GCE, Google) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have received a few inquiries about this, but we do not offer any kind of "undelete" ability. Because some customers ask, I'm moving the state of this to "Under Review" instead of Declined, but we do not have immediate plans to offer this.

• AdminScott Van Woudenberg (Admin, Google) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are a few options for mitigating the risk of accidentally deleting a VM:
        - always set the auto-delete flag of the boot PD to 'false' when creating/deleting VMs, that way the boot PD is preserved and you can re-create the VM from that if needed
        - create a snapshot of the boot PD before deleting a VM
        - stop the VM instead of deleting it

In each case, you'll have what you need to recreate the VM later, and after enough time passes without needing to recreate, you can just cleanup the resources.

Feedback and Knowledge Base